Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Escapee turbo snail

One of my turbo snails escaped out of the back of the tank so we carefully peeled him off and put him back in. He seems fine and is right back to cleaning...but is it normal for them to do this?

So to keep him from escaping again, I put on the plastic strip that came with the tank cover that bridges the gap in the back...cutting it to size of course because of my filter and heater.

My question about the cover is...will closing off the entire top of the tank have an adverse effect on the water or the amount of oxygen in the water?

Thanks!

Rachael

Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya i have turbos who do that too i found if i feed them a peice of seaweed every couple days they dont go over the wall do they have lots to eat in the tank? As far as the o2 im thinking that wouldnt matter

Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm sure a snail can live just fine otu of the water, my turbo snail sat on the top part of my tank above the water level for a few hours. i did a PWC saturday and didn't make enough water so i had to wait the next day to add more sunday he sat above the water level and then i topped up the water
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm no expert, but these are just my thoughts. Anyone else can chime in and add their input on this.
Check your levels, because sometimes snails try to escape the water when the parameters are poor. So they might be stressed out, but I wouldn't worry as long as your water quality checks out fine.

I'm not sure on the oxygen, but if your worried you can use a netting/mesh to cover the gaps instead.

Just an idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Are they going above the water line or out of the tank?

One more thing. Snails have been known to climb out of the water if the sg is too high or too low, so you may want to double check just to make sure
Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy2936 View Post
I'm no expert, but these are just my thoughts. Anyone else can chime in and add their input on this.
Check your levels, because sometimes snails try to escape the water when the parameters are poor. So they might be stressed out, but I wouldn't worry as long as your water quality checks out fine.

I'm not sure on the oxygen, but if your worried you can use a netting/mesh to cover the gaps instead.

Just an idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium
Actually, I had wondered if that was perhaps why he climbed out. My levels ARE a little out of whack right now, but the tank has been treated, so hopefully it will get back to normal within a day or so. The levels aren't toxic, but they certainly aren't where they need to be.

Oh...and in response to Karlos69...I do typically have a little seaweed in there to munch on, but I've backed off on that for now while I'm trying to get things leveled out.

Thanks for all the replies!

Rachael
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyspot1000 View Post
Are they going above the water line or out of the tank?

One more thing. Snails have been known to climb out of the water if the sg is too high or too low, so you may want to double check just to make sure
Sorry... I'm a noob to this... What is sg?

Oh...and he climbed clear out of the tank and was half way down the back.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #8

Sg = Specific gravity (This is a density measurement for the amount of dissolved salts in saltwater compared to freshwater. Explained another way, saltwater is composed of many more elements than freshwater. The specific gravity measurement shows us how much heavier or denser saltwater is compared to freshwater.)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyspot1000 View Post
Sg = Specific gravity (This is a density measurement for the amount of dissolved salts in saltwater compared to freshwater. Explained another way, saltwater is composed of many more elements than freshwater. The specific gravity measurement shows us how much heavier or denser saltwater is compared to freshwater.)
I have no idea what that would be. I took a sample of my water in to the LFS who only deals in saltwater and they said everything was fine except the nitrite spike (I added new fish a little over a week ago). So hopefully everyone can hang in there while the bacteria gets back to where it should be. The one snail is the only one who has done anything out of the ordinary. Everybody else (including the other turbo) seem to be fine. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

salinity level, checked by a hydrometer or more accurately, a refractometer.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cap, snail, turbo, turbo snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com