Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tryin2make63
okay , so very logical ? could my nitrates be high dues to this....
i have at least 5 gals of water evaporate a week from my lights and sump. when its time to do an pwc i do an 5 gal pwc and then add 5 gal freshwater to the tank to even out the sg.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #22

thats 10 gal. it comes out to a little less than 20% pwc

Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't fool yourself that you're doing a 20% water change. Several things are wrong with that. If your "My Tanks" is correct, you have a 20g sump in addition to the 58g tank. So 10g out of 78g is just shy of 13%.

In addition, that 5g that evaporated left behind all the nitrates, etc. I *wish* the nitrates evaporated away, but they don't. So you're only taking out 5g of water that has nitrates in it. That's just over 6% a week. That's not much.

While it doesn't help you with your nitrates, I'd suggest keeping on that evaporation a little more frequently that just once a week. Letting 5+% of your tank evaporate away before adding fresh water is going to be causing some really nasty salinity swings when you do that water change.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #24

i have noticed that the sp does get really high. where do you get 78? y not 68. then you have to take count for all the rock and sand right? 10 gal out of 68 is 15%... and thats per week
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2make63 View Post
i have noticed that the sp does get really high. where do you get 78? y not 68. then you have to take count for all the rock and sand right? 10 gal out of 68 is 15%... and thats per week
the live rock probably does not take up 10 gal. it is very porus and holds a lot of water. you should top off your tank EVERY day. The water that you put into your tank to replace evaporated water does not count toward your water change. only the 5 gallons you repalced when you siphoned it out of your tank.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Regardless of the actual water volume in the tank you need to a PWC of the tank volume (dry) and that does not include adding top off water. Evaporation as Kurt said needs to be replaced on a much more regular basis than 5 gallons/week. That's way too big a swing of SG. If you don't have a refractometer, get one and keep an eye on the SG. You will end up getting a ATO (Automatic Top Off) system before you know. I used to add a gallon+/day till I added my JBJ ATO. Now I refill my resovoir tank once a month.

If you do an actual 10 gallon PWC (remove 10 gallons and replace 10 gallons) per week that should suffice and help reduce/controil nitrates depending on where they are coming from.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2make63 View Post
i have noticed that the sp does get really high.
I'd do something about that, then.

Quote:
where do you get 78? y not 68.
Well... 58 gallon tank plus 20 gallon sump = 78 gallons in my book. That's where I get it.

Quote:
then you have to take count for all the rock and sand right? 10 gal out of 68 is 15%... and thats per week
Yeah... 10/68 is about 15% which is not "a little under 20%" as you said in your previous post. But as I said, 5 gallons of that is top off and doesn't dilute anything. So you're only changing 5 gallons.

I don't think when people give basic % figures for water change values, they're accounting for the volume taken up by sand and rock. That would kind of make the advice hard to give since everyone has different amounts of rock and sand in their tank.

Regardless of how you want to figure percentages, if I had your setup and was trying to lower nitrates, I'd be doing at LEAST a 15g water change each week - not including the water added for evaporation.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #28

if i hav an go gal long tank that i use as an sump you can not fill it all the way up sue to a power shortage it might overflow. therefore mine is only 1/2 full
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Y'know... you can change the numbers and your reasoning all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you're complaining about high nitrates and want help in reducing them. I'll just reiterate my final sentence of my last point and be done with this...

Regardless of how you want to figure percentages, if I had your setup and was trying to lower nitrates, I'd be doing at LEAST a 15g water change each week - not including the water added for evaporation.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1

Tags
established tank, high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com