Evaluate my cleaning crew...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on adding the following cleaning crew:

18 Astraea snails
6 Trochus snails
12 Cerith snails
12 Nassarius snails
12 blue-legged hermits

I seem to see a lot of conflicting advice about how many to add. Some say 1 per gallon, others up to 1 per 5 gallons. I chose these based on some mid ground. Plus each functions slightly different:

Astraea - to clean glass rocks, etc.
Trochus - reproduce readily
Cerith - sand bed agitator
Nassarius - sand bed agitator
Blue legged hermit - clean small spaces in rocks

The list looks pretty good. I would up the hermits and add a dozen or so scarlet reef hermits as well. I also have some emerald crabs and various shrimp and a brittle and sand sifting star in my clean-up crew. If you have a new tank start slow and do not add the sand sifter. Increase the crew as bioload and feedings increase.

I was planning on adding what I have listed for now as I have decent algael growth. As the tank matures, I will add accordingly.

I am hesitant to put too many hermits in there as I hear that they end up predating on your snails. Ever had that problem?

I have never really had that issue that I know of. It is important to put in some extra shells of variying sizes for the hermits to move into. I restock my crew (snails and hermits) once a year or so...they seem to disappear with time.

Your most economical choice is to go to a craft store like Michael's. They have tons for a lot less then the LFS.

Getting shells the right size is very important as well. Most snail shells ime are too large for the red/blue leg hermits and if your lfs has old hermit shells and doesn’t charge too much for them I’d go that route personally. My lfs sells them 5 for $1 and as long as you have at least a couple of varying sizes scattered about on the sand you shouldn’t have any issues with the hermits trying to kill off a snail or other hermit for it’s shell.

I also have had to restock mostly hermits over the months. I have no clue to how long they live. Most hermits are congruous but some are more predacious then others especially if there is not enough food in the tank. I think your initial stock list is a little on the light side but it never hurts to be cautious :)

Thanks guys. I will probably add them in the next 2 weeks. Cycle is still not finished. Ammonia is almost 0 but Nitrites are very elevated.

Back
Top Bottom