Evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zero333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I am still new at this and am currently coming to the end of my cycle in my 10gal tank. All is doing well except for my evaporation levels in the tank.. I seriously loose way too much per day. I was going to get a solid acrilic top for the tank, but i was told this would be bad for certain reasons.

Any way to trouble shoot this evaporation problem, or is it just a constant game of catchup?

thanks

What is your water temp? How much are you losing per day?
We all need to do top offs, its just a fact of life with an aquarium. Make sure you do the top offs with fresh water. Salt does not evaporate and your salinity will increase if you use saltwater for them.

Temp is around 77 or so, and i am only adding in fresh water for that reason, i was just wondering if there were any recomendations for the issue. I lose about i would say 1/4 to 1/3" a day.... it is a small tank so i guess this is expected.

thanks

I went from a glass top to eggcrate to try and raise pH (didn't help, BTW) and between that and the dry winter air I'm losing probably 1/3 gallon per day in my 20. A solid top helps, but causes other problems (gas exchange, temp) so I just top off every day. Guess that's just how it goes . . .

I have to top off nearly a gallon each day with my 90 gal. Just seems to be a fact of aquarium life. Some people setup auto-topoff systems for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom