Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
And any idea how much longer it will last? A week or so?
No accurate way to know, really. Cycles can last anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. One thing I've noticed though is that when your nitrItes finally start to drop, you're probably within a week of the end. For me, once the nitrItes started dropping, they disappeared amazingly fast. I'm assuming the 34ppm is your nitrates (what kit are you using to get a reading of 34???) but that really doesn't tell us much. When your ammonia AND nitrItes are at zero... you're done.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Kurt and your salinity is good. What are you planning for your tank?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
Ok. As I read above, your saying the cycle is done when my NitrItes and Ammonia is 0? What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?

Plans, right now just the basic FOWLR for now, until i get the money for some lights then im going to make it into a tiny reef, with some basics nothing out of control.

Fish i decided on 2 mated O clowns a firefish and a tangoroa goby if i can find one, or any goby. Also my clean up crew consisting of 5 astreas 5 ceriths cleaner skunk peppermint shrimp and blue legged hermit. Does this sound good to start?

Ok since its only a 30 and i know thats small, later in life, when i get new lights, is a BTA anemone a good idea? I think they are neat, and like a feather duster? Are these easy to keep?

I have to say I dislike this site for one reason, I read all the posts and I want more and more and more!!!!! Haha. Going to start with above and see how that goes. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker518
What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?
NitrAtes are the end result of the nitrifying bacteria converting the ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. PWCs will remove the nitrAtes.
Quote:
Also my clean up crew consisting of 5 astreas 5 ceriths cleaner skunk peppermint shrimp and blue legged hermit. Does this sound good to start?
That sounds like a nice start. It is best to start small in a new tank. I personally like cerith and nassarius snails. The astreas tend to get overturned and you will have to manually turn them back over, otherwise they may get eaten or starve.
Quote:
is a BTA anemone a good idea?
Sure, they are best suited for a mature tank of around 9-12 months. It will also depend on your other inhabitants.
I'm not sure on feathers, but I haven't seen a lot of folks having them die.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?
NitrAtes are the end result of the nitrifying bacteria converting the ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. PWCs will remove the nitrAtes
Yup... nothing is going to remove the nitrAtes, except you!

After you get 0ppm readings for both ammonia and nitrItes, do several 25%+ water changes over the course of several days. After your tank is cycled, you want to get as much of the nitrAtes out as possible so you can start life with a pristine tank. Then once you get some inhabitants in your tank, the partial water changes (PWCs) on a weekly or biweekly basis will dilute any nitrates that are accumulating.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
and like a feather duster? Are these easy to keep?
Some are pretty hardy, when housed w/ LR at least. Hawaiian feather dusters are a good choice. HTH

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com