Evaporation during Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayhawker518

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank has been cycling for about 2.5 weeks and things are looking normal.

The only thing im looking at now is the fact my water level is decreasing because of normal evaporation. I know you guys say i dont need to do a PWC but should i add some more water at all to keep the level up? And if i add it do it the same way i would do a normal PWC, add salt to the water while heating it and test the salinity and slowly add it?

What are you all thinking on the cycle? Im very excited for this to all finish up and want to make sure i do things right!!

FW evaporates and the salt stays in the tank which increases your sg. Only add FW to the tank to maintain your sg level for evaporation and only add well mixed SW (24+ hours with a PH and matching your main tanks temperature/ph/sg/alk) to your tank when you take out SW during your pwc.

Never add salt directly to a tank, it's caustic until thoroughly mixed and will damage your stock.

What are your current ph/sg/nh3/no2/no3/temperature levels currently? Are you keeping the lights off? How are you cycling i.e. fish less/live rock?

I know not to add salt to the tank so we are good there. Im at work now so ill have to get the reading when i get home ill let ya know.
Im cycling with the shrimp and live rock, obviously no fish. Lights are always off.
Should i keep a bucket of SW ready ike the day before i do a PWC, when im ready to start doing them?

So you kind of confused me on the adding SW or not. If my sg is to high, just add FW and if its fine add mixed sw?

Jayhawker518 said:
Should i keep a bucket of SW ready ike the day before i do a PWC, when im ready to start doing them?
I always have pre-mixed SW (or at least pre-mixed for a minimum of 24 hours). It is best to add a ph and heater to try and get the new SW as close to your tank's temp and pH as possible.
Jayhawker518 said:
If my sg is to high, just add FW and if its fine add mixed sw?
If your sg is too high, you will want to reduce the sg in your next PWC. Micah was saying the evaporation would take out the FW since the salt doesn't evaporate, causing your sg to rise. In this case, you would just add FW.

Ok that makes sense. I have the pw and heater for a mixing bin now so ill do that the day before a PWC.

Ill test the water after work and get all the info and see what we all think. Thanks for the help

Ok just took my readings for today tell me how you think i am doing.

Temp - 79 degrees
PH - 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrites between 2.5 - 5 range (darker)
Nitrates about 20 ppm

I have the master kit if that helps at all.
Also my salinity was high so i added some freshwater that was heating. Hope this will help.

Does this all make sense? It looks like im getting my nitrItes spike now and my nitrate will be sure to follow. Its about closing in on 3 weeks so i think that makes sense What are we all thinking out there?

Its 1.024 and about 34 ppm

Do these numbers sound like things are cycling well?

And any idea how much longer it will last? A week or so?

And any idea how much longer it will last? A week or so?

No accurate way to know, really. Cycles can last anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. One thing I've noticed though is that when your nitrItes finally start to drop, you're probably within a week of the end. For me, once the nitrItes started dropping, they disappeared amazingly fast. I'm assuming the 34ppm is your nitrates (what kit are you using to get a reading of 34???) but that really doesn't tell us much. When your ammonia AND nitrItes are at zero... you're done.

I agree with Kurt and your salinity is good. What are you planning for your tank?

Ok. As I read above, your saying the cycle is done when my NitrItes and Ammonia is 0? What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?

Plans, right now just the basic FOWLR for now, until i get the money for some lights then im going to make it into a tiny reef, with some basics nothing out of control.

Fish i decided on 2 mated O clowns a firefish and a tangoroa goby if i can find one, or any goby. Also my clean up crew consisting of 5 astreas 5 ceriths cleaner skunk peppermint shrimp and blue legged hermit. Does this sound good to start?

Ok since its only a 30 and i know thats small, later in life, when i get new lights, is a BTA anemone a good idea? I think they are neat, and like a feather duster? Are these easy to keep?

I have to say I dislike this site for one reason, I read all the posts and I want more and more and more!!!!! Haha. Going to start with above and see how that goes. Thanks again for the advice!

Jayhawker518 said:
What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?
NitrAtes are the end result of the nitrifying bacteria converting the ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. PWCs will remove the nitrAtes.
Jayhawker518 said:
Also my clean up crew consisting of 5 astreas 5 ceriths cleaner skunk peppermint shrimp and blue legged hermit. Does this sound good to start?
That sounds like a nice start. It is best to start small in a new tank. I personally like cerith and nassarius snails. The astreas tend to get overturned and you will have to manually turn them back over, otherwise they may get eaten or starve.
Jayhawker518 said:
is a BTA anemone a good idea?
Sure, they are best suited for a mature tank of around 9-12 months. It will also depend on your other inhabitants.
I'm not sure on feathers, but I haven't seen a lot of folks having them die.

roka64 said:
Jayhawker518 said:
What about the nitrAtes they dont become 0?
NitrAtes are the end result of the nitrifying bacteria converting the ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. PWCs will remove the nitrAtes

Yup... nothing is going to remove the nitrAtes, except you!

After you get 0ppm readings for both ammonia and nitrItes, do several 25%+ water changes over the course of several days. After your tank is cycled, you want to get as much of the nitrAtes out as possible so you can start life with a pristine tank. Then once you get some inhabitants in your tank, the partial water changes (PWCs) on a weekly or biweekly basis will dilute any nitrates that are accumulating.

Back
Top Bottom