Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Evaporation help

I have been topping off my sump every day and am wondering how much a cover on it would help. Since I am going to be using an in-sump skimmer, I can' t use the lids that were made for it, but I'm thinking about making a plexiglass lid with cut-outs for the skimmer and pipes.
I'm not using the glass tops on my aquarium either, any suggestions which lids would make the most difference?
Also, ( and this may just be the "dumb" question that they say doesn't exist!) I'm running a dehumidifier unit in my basement and my aquarium is upstairs on main floor. Would the dehumidifier contribute much to the evap?

As always, thanks!!

jgross15656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Adding lids to the sump and not the tank isn't going to produce any real changes.

As you probably know, adding lids to your tank is going to affect its gas exchange, and isn't really a good idea.

The dehumidifier is definately affecting your evap rate as well.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
How big is this tank? How large is the return section in your sump.

I have a 120g tank with a 55g frag tank plumbed into it and 3 different sumps (about 240g total) I have to top off 3+gallons per day.

When you have larger water volumes, high flow and several sumps/fuges you are going to have a lot of evaporation. I keep a dehumidifier near the tank so I can keep the humidity in check (during the summer).

One of the easiest solutions is to add an auto-top-off system to your tank. There are lots of brands out there or you can do a DIY ATO. I have one just haven't set it back up. They are really nice to have especially if you want to keep your SG in check. Mine is a diy, simple, float switch, water and a pump. When I had it hooked up I kept a 20g tank next to my sump filled with RO/DI water and a maxi-jet pump with tubing over to my sump. When the float switch was activated (water level dropped) the maxi would come on and pump water into the sump til the float switch shut it off. Do a google search for auto top off and see what you come up with.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com