Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ever used cycle?

Has anyone ever used a product called cycle made by nutrafin? Was advised to use this during my cycle to help keep fish alive. Not to sure about putting something unnatural in the tank. What do you guy think?

Old 11-01-2003, 07:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Cycle is a waste of money, cycle your tank with a raw shrimp, keep any live things out until the ammonia and nitrite levels have reeched 0. You can also cycle a tank with LR, look in the articles section for articles on cycling and curing LR.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have read that article and wish I would have found this sight before I put fish in. Well that did not happen. I live in Wi so I drove up to Dr.s foster & smith. I told them I was just starting up and that the main inhabitant was to be a lionfish. I was directed towards a flame dwarf angel and a orangetailed damselfish. As I have since found out the angle will probably not make the cycle and the damsel will get eaten by the lion. So here I am trying to keep them alive. Under these circumstances would you use it?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
I have used it as a quick fix for spikes. It works relatively well but it is no miracle. For a real cycle, it is no good. But for a spike, it has s\helped me before.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like RR says, cycle is totally worthless. You can try it if you want, but I doubt it will make any difference.

The only proven product that sucessfully cycles a tank extremely quickly (i.e. 1-2 days) is Marineland's Bio-Spira. Unfortunately it is only for FW right now...

Old 11-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Inorder to have a good chance at keeping those fish alive (I cant belive they sold you a flame angel to cycle your tank) Will be to keep a constant watch on ammonia and nitrite levels and be prepaird to do water changes when these levels start to climb above .10.

Yes this is going to make your cycle much longer but thats one of the prices that is paid to keep the fish that is in the aquarium alive and in decently good health.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com