Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
evidence of test degrading

ok,

I have feather dusters, sponges, and some hard corals that have all propogated from the new live rock i got. my test kit is two years old and no matter how many water changes i do it gives the same results of nitrates being at 20. I am wondering whether the test kit is inaccurate because one week i did two 25% water changes and the test kit gave the same results. im thinking i should go to the lfs and get the water tested there.

Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
The reagents in kits can degrade over time. I would take the water to the LFS for testing and pick up some new kits. Also, try testing something else...like your water change water or freshwater to see if you get different results. That's why I like Seachem kits, they come with a standard reagent for verifying kit accuracy.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am willing to guess the water is testing is fine. YOu have a good bit of livestock in that tank. you have cannister filters competing with liverock......your water changes are just maintaining the status quo.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
i took the water to the lfs and they said that the nitrates were zero and that the test kit i had does degrade over time.
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
well, that is great news! I had thought of another thing, testing your testkit by testing some freshly mixed water. At least you found out.

Tags
test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com