Ex live rock for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I've been a member in here for a short time but for my freshwater tank I now have a spare tank which iam going to do marine.

I was astounded by the price of live rock!!! So got around 25kg or so of ex live rock that had been out of water for a year or so. I plan to buy some live rock to help seed the other rock while tank cycles for a couple month iam in no rush to get fish in.

It stunk so bad lol I jet washed it and iam wondering if there's anything I need to do with it before i think about putting it in the tank? Which is empty at the moment I'll buy salted RO from LFS while setting up and cycling.

Once up and running Ill be running power heads a tunze internal skimmer and external filter more as a reactor and UV no sump

Any advice welcome but don't flame me for running an external lol

Thanks

Sent from my XT1032 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just wash it good and then put it in with the live rock and cycle the tank. You can cycle the tank and cure the LR at the same time.

Excellent should I use RO water to wash or will regular water do the trick ? Then put in tank with RO salted water

Well I must admit my fw tank changes on a monthly basis lol. But as iam so new to sw I have no idea what iam aiming for how about a pic of your tank Daryl b

Toss in an ammonia source like a raw cocktail shrimp or even some pure ammonia and wait. You don't need to seed the rock with live rock. This rock will become live on it's own. the term "live" just means it's got beneficial bacteria on it. The hitch hikers and algae that comes with live rock aren't necessary for a successful tank, and are in some cases, unwelcome.

Scape looks great, and the advice from X is always spot on. Nothing I can add he didn't cover

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are those rocks worked down thru the sand? There are fish and critters that can dig under the rocks. That could be bad if there not well based.

Darylb that looks amazing... And thanks for instructions Mr x I shall follow them and hopefully get the tank started off today or tomorrow when I get some ro water sorted,

Ingy the rocks sure are to the base, I figured digging may produce problems from experience with my mbuna tank

Thanks for all the advice guys youve Ade it much easier for me

Only just started to fill it so not much has changed except the scaping

Attachments

• 1400086987492.jpg
    1400086987492.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 89
And another one made a few swim through and hole's /archs

Attachments

• 1400087489436.jpg
    1400087489436.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 66
Toss in an ammonia source like a raw cocktail shrimp or even some pure ammonia and wait. You don't need to seed the rock with live rock. This rock will become live on it's own. the term "live" just means it's got beneficial bacteria on it. The hitch hikers and algae that comes with live rock aren't necessary for a successful tank, and are in some cases, unwelcome.

SHHH!
You are revealing that without any hitchhikers, "live rock" and "live sand" are a scam. ;)

Back
Top Bottom