excessive bubbles !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys (or girls) I have a question. My 75 gal SW aquirium has alot of air bubbles all through out the water columns. MY system has only been up for about 4 weeks it has no fish yet just live rock, are the excessive bubbles a good thing or bad or what?:confused:

hmm ok just seems like there are alot of them (tiny bubbles) all throughout the water coulmn because of filtertation and water movement i guess just thought it may not have been good ty 8)

They do no good, but they won't really hurt anything either. Where are they coming from? Do you have a sump setup? You probably have a pump or powerhead pulling air somewhere.

Oxygenation takes place at the water surface. Having a power head pointed slightly upwards to ripple the surface gives you a good gas exchange (O2/CO2). Bubbles only help when they burst at the surface. In the water column they do not add anything. I find them unsightly and would look for the cause. As ccCapt said, there is a PH pulling air or cavitating or it's coming from the skimmer (normal in a new skimmer that hasn't broken in yet), or some other pump.

Are you running your skimmer in a sump? Most build what's called a bubble trap to help the bubbles escape before the water gets pumped back to the display tank, to try to eliminate the bubbles.

Search for micro bubbles, this is what most people refer to this situation as.

Back
Top Bottom