Excited to be addicted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristy3693

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just got a 35 gal hex uniaquarium for Christmas. It has been several years since I had a tank, and never salt. I am so ready to do it right and give some sweet fish a great place to live. I figure with all i have to do it will be at least 4 to 6 months before I buy a live animal! Research, research, research.. I know you guys will help me get there. Lighting is my biggest hurtle. This is what I am on the verge of buying. I plan to do a reef. "marineland 18-24 Inch Reef Capable LED System with Integrated Timer". Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have the same light fixture. I LOVE it. one quirk tho... my timer light just started acting funny...numbers are suddenly distrorted but works great nun the same

Hello! I just got a 35 gal hex uniaquarium for Christmas. It has been several years since I had a tank, and never salt. I am so ready to do it right and give some sweet fish a great place to live. I figure with all i have to do it will be at least 4 to 6 months before I buy a live animal! Research, research, research.. I know you guys will help me get there. Lighting is my biggest hurtle. This is what I am on the verge of buying. I plan to do a reef. "marineland 18-24 Inch Reef Capable LED System with Integrated Timer". Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Lighting depends on coral being kept

A 35g hex is 24in high. The dimension is also slim. I would recommend LED lighting with optics pointing the light more downwards (less wasted lights spilling outside and onto the floor wasting electricity).

Take your time researching light as you slowly stock your tank.

Edit: the compact style LED, such as reefbreeders would fit nicely over your tank, the marineland led is too long (I have never been a fan of marineland LED ever since many people complain about how weak they are).

A 35g hex is 24in high. The dimension is also slim. I would recommend LED lighting with optics pointing the light more downwards (less wasted lights spilling outside and onto the floor wasting electricity).

Take your time researching light as you slowly stock your tank.

Edit: the compact style LED, such as reefbreeders would fit nicely over your tank, the marineland led is too long (I have never been a fan of marineland LED ever since many people complain about how weak they are).

Thank you for your advise. I see reefbreeders are about $140 more. But very nice. My hex is 21 inches across from flat side to flat side. The marine land said 18" to 24" expandable. I want to get all my equipment before I start stocking. I will keep researching. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom