Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Excited to be addicted

Hello! I just got a 35 gal hex uniaquarium for Christmas. It has been several years since I had a tank, and never salt. I am so ready to do it right and give some sweet fish a great place to live. I figure with all i have to do it will be at least 4 to 6 months before I buy a live animal! Research, research, research.. I know you guys will help me get there. Lighting is my biggest hurtle. This is what I am on the verge of buying. I plan to do a reef. "marineland 18-24 Inch Reef Capable LED System with Integrated Timer". Any thoughts would be appreciated!
__________________

__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Spicemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 304
I have the same light fixture. I LOVE it. one quirk tho... my timer light just started acting funny...numbers are suddenly distrorted but works great nun the same
__________________

__________________
54g corner
10g sump
Coralife 65g protein skimmer
LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy3693 View Post
Hello! I just got a 35 gal hex uniaquarium for Christmas. It has been several years since I had a tank, and never salt. I am so ready to do it right and give some sweet fish a great place to live. I figure with all i have to do it will be at least 4 to 6 months before I buy a live animal! Research, research, research.. I know you guys will help me get there. Lighting is my biggest hurtle. This is what I am on the verge of buying. I plan to do a reef. "marineland 18-24 Inch Reef Capable LED System with Integrated Timer". Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Lighting depends on coral being kept
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
90291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 42
Welcome, to our addiction. I've been an addict for 3 years.
__________________
90291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Terrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,577
A 35g hex is 24in high. The dimension is also slim. I would recommend LED lighting with optics pointing the light more downwards (less wasted lights spilling outside and onto the floor wasting electricity).

Take your time researching light as you slowly stock your tank.

Edit: the compact style LED, such as reefbreeders would fit nicely over your tank, the marineland led is too long (I have never been a fan of marineland LED ever since many people complain about how weak they are).
__________________
Kind Regards,
Terrance
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicemonkey View Post
I have the same light fixture. I LOVE it. one quirk tho... my timer light just started acting funny...numbers are suddenly distrorted but works great nun the same
How long have you had it? And what corals do you have?
__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
A 35g hex is 24in high. The dimension is also slim. I would recommend LED lighting with optics pointing the light more downwards (less wasted lights spilling outside and onto the floor wasting electricity).

Take your time researching light as you slowly stock your tank.

Edit: the compact style LED, such as reefbreeders would fit nicely over your tank, the marineland led is too long (I have never been a fan of marineland LED ever since many people complain about how weak they are).
Thank you for your advise. I see reefbreeders are about $140 more. But very nice. My hex is 21 inches across from flat side to flat side. The marine land said 18" to 24" expandable. I want to get all my equipment before I start stocking. I will keep researching. Thanks!
__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90291 View Post
Welcome, to our addiction. I've been an addict for 3 years.
Thank you! I can't wait!
__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Kristy3693's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Lighting depends on coral being kept
What kind of coral could I get with the marine land light?
__________________
Kristy3693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy3693 View Post

What kind of coral could I get with the marine land light?
Im gonna say mostly softies maybe up into lps but no sps
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.