Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exciting day for the marine tank!

No fish for me yet, but after three months of learning, I am really starting to make some progess with my marine tank. Today, I realized everything is finally coming together and I can see the fish at the end of the tunnel swimming towards me.

First up, an Excalibur HV1 protein skimmer was delivered to my house earlier today. I was not originally planning on a skimmer for the 15g tank, but I finally decided to order one after the Anemone incident:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=37690

...and reading this article:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=13

...and reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner.

All signs pointed to a protein skimmer being a very good idea to help the tank stay clean and healthy (especially once I start feeding fish).

Also today, I am going to sit down with my wife and pick out two fish for the tank. It will be nice to finally pick out some fish after a few months of rocks and a clean up crew. Speaking of the clean up crew, that has been great. I have only lost one snail to a hermit crab (the crab is now walking around with a new shell).

Next to the tank, I have nine pounds of new LR curing in a bucket. Once the new rock cures and goes in the tank and remains stable, I can get the fish from a LFS.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool. I waited 3-4 months before I got my first fish. Unlike bigger tanks, nano-ers really have to consider what we want in live stock choices because we don't have the room to add a bunch.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

My choice of a fish would be Pseudochromis fridmani. I've read that they may eat shrimp but I don't have any experience with that. If you don't have any shrimp yet, then consider the P. fridmani.

I've been following your nano posts, grimlock...I've read Bob Fenner's book too and I may (may!) want a 10 or 15 gallon nano. I know bigger ones are better for stability but I don't have the room, and smaller equipment isn't as expensive. We'll see.....! Was it you who lost Harry, the crab, while moving? Did you find him?

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
it was my understanding that p. fridmani needs ample swimming space? am i incorrect? they are wonderful fish aside, very colorful. ive never seen one eat a shrimp either, they are considered "reef safe".

i have no fish in my nano as of yet, and am in the same boat, but i chose to add corals first. i would suggest adding a shrimp, i have a skunk cleaner and he is more amusing than any fish i own.

for mine, i plan on adding the ubiquitous pair of ocellaris clowns.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice memory! I did lose Harry (the crab) while moving the tank. I found him shortly after I setup the tank again, then he died right away. His shell was soft when I removed it from the tank, so the tank got moved when the crab was molting, or just finished molting I replaced the crab with an Emerald Crab that is out in the open most of the time, but not it is not as cool as Harry

My tank has been going very well overall. I am really taking my time with it, and it has paid off. I top off with distilled water once every couple days, and do a water change every weekend. Sometimes I use a Kalk drip for top offs, however I am looking for something better than the gallon jug on a shelf I am using now.

I opened up the skimmer when I got home from work and it is really beefy. Looks must larger in person than it did online, and it seems very durable. I should have a chance to set it up tomorrow.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-07-2004, 02:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

you drip kalk already? what is your Ca reading?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:24 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry to hear about Harry

At the FW hatchery I go to, one time there was a skimmer in the corner (not set up) and it was about 3 feet tall!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
you drip kalk already? what is your Ca reading?
Not measuring the Ca yet honestly. Getting the reef test kit for Ca, PO4, and low range NO3 is on my list of things to buy as I move forward with the tank. I have done an overnight drip three or four times as more of a functionality test than anything else.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh i see, because i was going to say i havent had the need to dose in mine yet, and ive had a lot of corraline growth and ive added corals.

just wondering

Tags
marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com