Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Experienced Newbie

Hello all. I was in the hobby for about 3 years until i had to get out about 6 years ago. I am back in and am starting fresh. Quite a bit has changed in the hobby (LEDs for example) and in my ability to be patient. A few weeks ago I was setting up a free 36g bowfront and stumbled upon a 55g with nothing especially no stand. Built a stand and canopy and it is now in my office sandwiched between two bookcases.

I have a eShops 75 sump which will eventually house a Skimmer with a 700 gph return pump. I have a 10g I will be plumbing in as a refugium this week. So far I have 40 lbs of good live rock and will be going for 40 more pounds very soon, also about 70 lbs of live sand. All being said I think the whole system is roughly 60-65g of water.

2 Hydor Koralia 1400 evolutions, a 250w metal halide (15,000k), two 24w Actinics, and 2 LED moon lights. From my understanding light and flow are the building stones of a healthy reef.

I am cycling my tank now and will not put any livestock in until I feel it as established and stable as it can be without livestock.

Okay all of that being said, now I need advice on stocking. I want to eventually have a mixed reef (fish, inverts, easy yet attractive corals).
Here is what I'm thinking:

FISH
-Gold-Striped Maroon Clown
-4 line Wrasse
-Midas Blenny (optional)
-3 Chromis (optional- feel they maybe would be too much)

INVERTS
-BTA for the Clown
-Snails (kinds up for discussion)
-Peppermint Shrimp
-Cleaner Shrimp
-Hermit Crabs (kinds up for discussion)

CORAL (once I have a better grasp of needs)
-Zoos (variety)
-Mushrooms (variety)
-Orange Montipora Capicornus

Okay, open up your opinions, tell your thoughts and through out any questions.

Thanks

Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hello. Welcome back to fishkeeping!

I think you're stock list for a 55g is fine. I have 7 fish, 4 peppermints shrimp, a sea hare and a pistol shrimp.

The only thing I would say is to avoid the BTA for awhile. A Nem is no place for a new tank and theres no guarantee the clowns will host. Two of my four host an elegance coral lol

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

Ok great.
Regarding the BTA, when is it a good time to add? What is my threshold for my tank that I can feel comfortable adding it? Besides light and excellent water quality, what do I need to give a BTA a chance?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You already have the lights but usually people recommend waiting almost a year to add a nem. I bought one early on and even though it seemed to thrive I still returned it. I worried way too much about. lol

As I'm sure you know your tank will go through many phases throughout the first year so it's best to wait til it's totally stable. Some people add them right off the bat and do well, some, well, not so good results.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where are you positioning the MH? I have a 55 as well but I would need 2 lamps in order to get the tank properly lit. Do you have any pictures of your tank?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

I just have the one at the moment. I will get another eventually so I do have the dreaded center brace shadow. I'll get some pics up
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #7

Here are some pics of the setup. The removable panels on the front still in need a few pieces of trim and a final coat of paint and poly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2551586532.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	36010   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3901017999.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	36011  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1878476021.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	36012   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2957639961.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	36013  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com