Expert Advice - 65g LONG Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rk01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So after a couple of weeks looking around that site, and visiting tanks for sale, I've decided the only way I'm going to be satisfied is to start from scratch, and pick my own equipment instead of marring into someone elses. Plus I'm a diy kind of guy, AND I'll get to learn along the way.

I'm on a budget, somewhere around $1000, give or take, to get things off the ground. I originally was eying a 125g, but its going to cost much more in upfront expenses, I really can't afford going that large. So I was thinking about going short and long. Here is what i've come up with:

65g Long RR - 48" x 18" x 17" Tall - $248
Nova Extreme SLR 4x55 T5 HO - $212
Vertex IN-80 Skimmer (well-liked Octopus Clone) $130
CaribSea Aragonite - $25 x 5 = $125
Premium Live Rock $3.25 per lb $292
20g DIY Sump/Fuge $60
DIY Stand
Misc items such as powerheads, heaters, etc.

Are there any concerns going with the tank I've chosen? I searched around, and only came up with 1 reef tank that is a 65 long: reefBoyDc's blog - The Reef Tank

On a side note, where could I learn about the method he is using to plumb the output nozzles? Without knowing anything about it, it seems like a smart way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I don't see anything wrong with using a 65g long. For the price though you could get a larger tank. I paid $349 for my 120g tank. It isn't reef ready but tanks can be drilled.

I'm not familiar with the skimmer so I can't say much there. Check at petsmart and petco for your sand. I got 30lb bags for less then $20 I only used 120lbs in my 120g tank. I started out with more but thinned it back.

The plumbing on the tank you linked to is pretty interesting. You will need a decent pump to get flow from it with all those outlets. Having the SCWD on there helps keep the flow random.

Try and get as much of your dry goods online as you can. You will save lots of money.

That looks like a good start. DIY is the way to go :)
65g Long RR - 48" x 18" x 17" Tall - $248
yikes
I paid $349 for my 120g tank. It isn't reef ready but tanks can be drilled.
double yikes
I paid $279 for my 6' 125 Perfecto CornerFlo brand new from That Fish Place.

That looks like a good start. DIY is the way to go :)

yikes

double yikes
I paid $279 for my 6' 125 Perfecto CornerFlo brand new from That Fish Place.

Different footprint. I've found that 6' tanks aren't as expensive as their 4' cousins. I could have gotten a 6'125 RR for the same price you paid but I don't have the space for that tank. A 180g tank was the same price as what I paid for the tank I have.

WOW Hook me up. Where can I buy a 180 for $350? I'm on my way.
TFP has the cheapest tank I've seen anywhere. A 180 non drilled is $580 and a drilled is $680.

There is a LFS in my area that runs specials and sells the 180 RR for $350 They buy 15-20 tanks at a time to get a really good price and then do a giant sale.

in one of my books on fish it says that protein skimmers work by creating and collecting an electrically charged active foam which attracts and collects wast products from the water,
ps how do I start a new thread? I forgot

Hey guys in Pennsauken , NJ theres a pet store called Vaule pet it's on Rt130 . I got my 90 gallon for $200 it's not reef ready but the reef ready was $250. A buddy of mine bought a 120gallon RR for $319 from them as well.

No kidding. Great deal on those tanks. I got my 55 gallon with stand for about $300 lol.

Back
Top Bottom