Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Expert advice needed before I order my new tank!!

I need to order my tank asap for it to be ready by the 7/18 show from glasscages.com. The specs will most likely be 84x24x25 but I"m having trouble figuring out how to make the overflows/circulation system. I have three ideas so far.

1) An overflow in each rear corner with a 2" drain hole and just run the returns over the back of the aquarium.

2) Same as above except an a 3rd overflow in the middle of the back wall.

3) Make the entire back wall an overflow. By this I mean a couple inches from the rear wall add a second wall that has the overflow holes all along the top. I thought this would be neat because you wouldn't see any overflow boxes and I would probably flow a ton of water. Then I could have 2 or 3 drain holes drilled behind this wall.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great. BTW, I'm getting the front and sides done in low iron glass, it's similar to saphire but a different manufacture. The tank will be a reef tank with various soft/hard corals clams/fish/inverts etc... I will have 3x250 mh's and 2x72" VHO actinics I belive. I will most likely be using a custom 50gallon sump/fuge and some other huge circulation pump with a couple current switchers.

I'm wating to make sure the weight will be okay on the 2nd floor where my 110g is. The new tank will be roughly twice the weight but will twice as long as well spreading the weight around. I"m tring to locate a building insepctor or someone to come look at my house before I order.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like the 3rd idea the best !! but wonder about the ease of cleaning ya know ? would have to see it i guess ?? otherwise id go with 3 overflows better to have more than less imo

Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing to consider is what happens if a fish gets into the over flow of either of the 2nd two options. If you have a 3rd over flow in the middle (which i have seen) and you have a wrasse that jumps in...how are you going to get him out. Same deal with the full lenght overflow. The drainage on it wouldnt be a problem...but catching a flasher wrasse out of there would be!

I say option one.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't think about a fish getting stuck in there..... couldn't I just make some type of custom acrilic tops that would fit over the overflows? I think the 3rd option would look the nicest but would also be the most difficult. Will an overflow in each corner be enough? I guess it really would'nt matter if I have a large enough pump to run my closed loop. I really want to avoid powerheads if at all possible.

Steve, do you mean the east of clening the overlfow? I guess it would be pretty tough, but I would'nt think I would have to clean it too often.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some others have suggested I just have the back drilled to keep the tank clean looking as well. Not sure what to do but I have to make up my mind ASAP or I'll have to pay $240 shipping 8O
Old 06-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I like the trough idea better than simply drilling the back, IMO, the trough will actually be cleaner looking than simply have in the back drilled.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you go with option 3 and dont like it you could always partition it off later with accrylic. And fit and acrylic top or egg crate for the jumpers. I am a carpenter in the area and would come over to look, but you may still need an engineer to look at your tank placement
Old 06-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm leaning towards the third idea! Okay, so I'm figuring I should probably use 2" bulkhead so I think the holes will have to be 3"? Then I guess the 2nd back wall would have to be about 4" out from the back of the tank?

Darb2, I tried calling a few places this weekend and left messages but nobody returned my calls yesterday Where are you located, anywhere near denver/lancaster area, I would be glad to pay you if you think you could help me figure this out I really think it would be ok but there is some very expensive electronic equipment below it on the first floor so I need to be certain.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

30 min se of lancaster. And you are the one that gave me the tip about aa, so there is noooooo way that I would charge you
Old 06-29-2004, 07:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it's proabably a pretty far drive for you, I acutally live in Denver. I don't mind paying someone local but I just have no idea who to call....I've called a few places and left messages but nobody has returned my calls

BTW, I'm 99% sure I"m just going to stick with the 2 corner overflows or just 2 holes drilled in the top of the back(not sure what the advantages are to either?). I figured with the false overflow wall I will loose 4-5" in depth and part of the reason I'm going bigger is because my tank is only 18" from front to back and I would like to be able to stack rock wtih more shelves for coral.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com