explosion of tube worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most likely snails. vermetids. yes a pest, if you think they are ugly. and trust me they get ugly.

qt everything

including live rock, corals, etc.....

There is a major feeding difference between the feather duster type and the vermetids. Feathers filter feed and verms release this silk like fishing line to snag food out of the wate colume.

not sure

I have a bunch of those in my new set up. I wasn't sure what they were but I didn't think they would be harmful. THey do shoot out a thin thread like thing that has particle stuck to it sometimes. So you don't think they are harmful? I hope not.

thanks
Jeff

Are they spiral shaped? If they are feather dusters, I've been told it is a sign of a healthy tank and let em go.

From what I read and what they look like I am gonna say they are vermetids they shoot out a thin line then real it back in. From what I read there is no problem with them. I hope this is correct what I read.

thanks
Jeff

mine appear to be tube worms or feather dusters...they start out spiral shaped but then get a bit of a tail going.....maybe ill get a picture.....i do not see any strings hangin out of any of them...but then again cant remember seeing anything come out of them :? lol hmmm ill google vermetids and see what they look like

doug

thats pretty close, but mine are solid white..where as those look duller and more rock like...its possible thats what they are....if so at this point its a good thing to have then right? they filter out pollutons?

doug

These things just started growing like mad in the last month.
feather dusters?

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    duster.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 72
  • duster2.jpg
    duster2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 80
sirfishmaster said:
how ugly can it be at less than a 1/16th of an inch.....

doug

every inch of my rock is covered with them. they are now about half an inch long, but seem to get no larger.

they are even on snails. stuck on corals on intakes eveywhere except my glass and sand.

but if you like them....

doug

Back
Top Bottom