extra hitchhikers on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 small dime size anemone that are grey almost translucent in color
Do you think they will survive the cycle?

Probably aptasia and not a desirable hitchhiker really. Chances are though they will make it through the cycle, tough little buggers they are. A pic would be needed to give you a positive ID though, as you know. Good luck. :D

so since the cycle has not finished should i attempt to remove them when i do the water change after cycle completion?

I don't know what you mean by "remove". Trying to remove it will just result in it growing back. You need to nuke them out of the rock. I read that some people have used boiling water injected into them, some used kalkwasser. But, I've read the most good about Joe's Juice. I would go ahead and blast them. But, it's really up to you. The longer they are in there though, the more chance of spreading.

http://joesjuice.com/

I was going to remove by boiling water & Turkey baster method.
Since there are only 3 of them.

Why are they bad? <----Noob question. :fadein:

there are only three that you see. i had some deep in my rock so they kept coming back. i would use the "joe's juice or stop aiptasia since there is nothing in the tank.ive heard that they will not harm you livestock but i dont think i would chance it down the road. nuke them before they spread. kill,kill,kill,you must kill. :twisted:

didnt see the question at the end. :oops:
i bought a tank that had about 20 or so and in 2 months time they turned into about 200. no lie.
they have a strong sting and will take over pushing any coral away.
my xenia didnt seem to bothered by them though. :|

True, they reproduce like mad and will sting neighboring corals. I agree with dorian, if you have three, chances are there are more lurking within the rock.

Back
Top Bottom