Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not at all my friend. We are all here to learn. The fresh shrimp from the grocery store will cycle the tank breaking down the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and building a bacterial bed, which is needed for marine life. I would leave it in there for about a week. You will know when it is complete as it will decompose and smell something fierce!
Afterwards, get a test kit that will test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Once all your levels are where they need to be you will be fine. My cycle took between 4-6 weeks. I added fish about 2 weeks after that to be on the safe side. HTH

Mike

Old 01-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

This thread has me curious... Why is the shrimp necessary after the cycle has already started? If he's got cloudy water (diatoms are probably next, lol) and his tank already has ammo, trite and trate so it is already building the bacteria necessary to support the system when the time comes. What benefit is there to adding the shrimp now (presuming that there is enough ammo to stress a damsel, which is a lot). He doesn't seem to need any more ammo right now...? I would have *guessed* that he could have just let the cycle finish.

I appreciate the input here. I'm intrigued at the theory.

As for your damsels in QT, keep some aged salt water mixed and up to temp and do frequent water changes (daily or every other as the ammo starts to creep up). Are you getting your water from the LFS or mixing it yourself?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
This thread has me curious... Why is the shrimp necessary after the cycle has already started? If he's got cloudy water (diatoms are probably next, lol) and his tank already has ammo, trite and trate so it is already building the bacteria necessary to support the system when the time comes. What benefit is there to adding the shrimp now (presuming that there is enough ammo to stress a damsel, which is a lot). He doesn't seem to need any more ammo right now...? I would have *guessed* that he could have just let the cycle finish.
This is exactly the question that came to my mind... it seems that everything the waste that would be provided by a rotting shrimp would already be present in my tank. I'm sure there is something that I don't understand, though. lol, I don't seem to understand much!

I don't get the diatom joke... help?

Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and to answer the question... I mix my water myself using tap water. What is meant by "aged" salt water?

lol, and I thought I did sooo much research before I started... sigh...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out the Pesky Diatoms thread below. *Those* diatoms. You get the cloudy water and then the brown algae takes over your tank until you want to put a blanket over it. If you're lucky you get over them in a week or less, unlucky and you're suffering for weeks with them (even worse with the pressure of "my whole family will be here for the holidays and what am I going to tell them about this mungy brown tank I have"?! LOL). After that things miraculously get better and your on your way to finally putting fish that you want to keep in your tank. Nobody tells you about these phases *before* you dump your initial million into your tank though! Well the nice people here would... if I had known enough to ask them!

Research those damsels that you have (there are many types and some of them are agressive and nasty) before you put them back into your tank. You may decide that with your ultimate tank goals these fish don't fit the profile. We went with green chromis first because they tend to be a less agressive sort and look cool in schools.

Aged saltwater would be sw that has been mixing (PH) and heating (heater) for at least 24 hrs before you use it. Using saltwater that hasn't properly dissolved can cause burns to the fish from the salt.

The experts here say that tap water can lead to a tough battle with diatoms due to PO4 in the water. My tap water must not have a PO4 to speak of because we're not having problems with it yet. I'm working on getting my RO/DI installed though so we'll soon be using that to mix up our SW. YMMV.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The shrimp at this point will keep a biological load on the bacteria. There is ammonia now but once it cycles to nitrite there will be none. The bacteria will still need to be maintained by providing new ammonia to convert. Of course this is my reasoning on it only. Someone else may be able to shed a different light on this matter.

Diatoms are a normal episode of a new tank. I believe they are primarily caused by silicates. The phosphates in tap water will eventually give you problems with algae. I switched to distilled water for my changes and topoffs. Once you have cycled you can get a cleanup crew of snails etc. to quickly rid the tank of the brown. HTH

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This thread has me curious... Why is the shrimp necessary after the cycle has already started?
If your damsels pass on because you are the middle of the cycle, what is going to keep the bacteria building? If you add another fish it will likely have the same result.
This post suggests that this was a new setup in the process of the cycle. What I gathered from this is it hasn't been up very long, which means the cycle isn't complete. Without fish or a piece of shrimp, how will the biological bacteria form and maintain itself for future fish?
How long has this tank been setup?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
How long has this tank been setup?
Fish have been in since 12/28.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try to not feel discouraged, It took about 5 months before my water parameters settled down, and then my evil ex-roomate did something to my tank for revenge because I was moving out. So I had to start over again......I was pretty discouraged, but my bf made me set it back up again, and I'm so glad I did. It is a rewarding and challenging hobby.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com