Failed once, afraid I might be doing it again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdvaldosta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
37G tank, 1 small live rock (I think, probably dead now), gravel bed, filter on the back of the tank, no heater (72*).

Set the tank up with correct salinity and tap water treated with stress coat. Ran for 24 hours like the pet shop said and added a fish a week until I had 3 fish (clown, damsel, yellow tang). Then added one of those colorful slugs. Realized I had a problem when the slug died after 2 days. Pet store guy advised to do a partial water change and not feed the fish for a few days and all will be fine.

Looked up some info on the net, went and got a test kit and found the Ammonia level above 8ppm and Nitrites and Nitrates off the charts. The PH was fine. Did 20% water changes every day for a week and ammonia got down to .25ppm but nitrites and nitrates remained off the charts.

The Damsel died a few days later, out of the blue and I noticed the other two fish had ick (I think), they had some white dots sticking to them and began loosing pigmentation. Panicked and did 3 50% water changes over the next 3 days. Ended up loosing all the fish. I

t was a sad day indeed, I was attached to the fish. I cleaned out the tank completely because I was worried about the ick eggs and started fresh. Ran the tank for a week and added 1 damsel. Once again I can't get the ammonia down or the nitrates and nitrites. The fish still looks ok but I'm worried about him.

What I don't understand is how can the ammonia be so high when I've only fed the fish 3 flakes the whole week and he's by himself in a 37 gallon tank. I've been adding ammo lock and bio start as per instructions on the bottle. I've tested my tap water and it's only got .25ppm of Ammonia.

I'm confused, I thought I was intelligent but apparently not.

Well damn, I wish the LFS told me that... I feel bad for the Damsel now.

Get yourself a heater and much more LR.

37G tank, 1 small live rock (I think, probably dead now), gravel bed, filter on the back of the tank, no heater (72*).

Gravel? That will do nothing but cause you nitrate problems down the road. IMHO, you'd be much better off with a sand bed.

get more lr (1-1.5 lbs per gal, if no skimmer, 2 lbs per gal), then fully cycle tank, ammonia and nitrite to 0, then do 50% water change, then add fish SLOWLY. lfs just wnats the sale, so be sure to get on AA for advice.

Back
Top Bottom