Fake LR????????????????????????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swissfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Guys

Does anybody have experiance with fake LR? I was surfing the net and found that webpage. http://coralplugs.com
The guy told me he could easily make a cover for my Stand pipe that will look like LR.

It becomes like live rock. You can even use FW rock and plant a few pieces of live rock in between. Eventually it'll grow over onto the bare rock and become live rock.

All LR is is plain rock that has grown SW bacteria and coralline algae...

So long as the surface is porus (the more porus the better) it will be beneficial.

I have two hand made pieces of compressed limestone that are starting to take one aspects of liverock (turning red/purple/brown instead of the bright sandy color). Its superporus and also strings beneficial calcium into the tank over an exceedingly long period of time.

Looks like the guy is making molds and dropping regular concrete (or atleast saltwater non-dissolvable) into them.

*ponders*

There are DIY instructions on how to make live rock out of plaster o paris and crushed shells. The look is very simular to live rock after its been in the tank for a while and for the DIYer its a chance go get a custom sized/shaped rock. This might be what he was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom