Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fake Scenery??

New 36 gallon Bow Front has been started and ready to add fish per water test.

One thing, my wife likes the fake scenery and not the live/dry rock look. Has anyone used the fake scenery? Plus/Minus to them??

https://www.bigalspets.com/florida-coral-reef.html

Old 12-29-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The rock is not for decoration. It is your biological filter. it is necessary in a reef tank

Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
The rock is not for decoration. It is your biological filter. it is necessary in a reef tank

So I will add both then (live rock and scenery). I believe they will blend in together.

Thanx!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Every bit of plastic scenery I have ever seen looks fake. Obviously fake. Glaringly fake. If you or she likes it go ahead and add it. Just realize that removing it at a later date may cause problems. Also make sure that it is reef safe and that there is no metal on it
Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
Every bit of plastic scenery I have ever seen looks fake. Obviously fake. Glaringly fake. If you or she likes it go ahead and add it. Just realize that removing it at a later date may cause problems. Also make sure that it is reef safe and that there is no metal on it
I believe you how that stuff looks. Going with the rock, then adding coral at a later date.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand making the wife happy. I really do. But for the money and time investment I personally would want it to look is real as possible
Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

So true! Thanx for the help.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would not be happy with the fake very long,algae will need to be cleaned off it frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

these things look horrible IMO

if you don't want coral go fowlr , plastic reefs just don't have any true life characteristics
and the fish wont benefit from them plus over time they just start to deteriorate been there done that , with live coral things always are changing as things grow plastic don't grow and change ,
me personally if it don't look real it's just a waist of your good hard earned money , I don't encourage instant reef just drops in insert and be done, you'll learn more from your tank with living organisms and coral, your spending all that money to start a saltwater tank why waist that money on a $80. insert , not all live coral costs a small fortune ,
actually for that $80. you can buy $10. frags and they will spread over time and you can build from there you'll be happier in the end , there are a lot of online vendors who sell cheap frags , fake just looks horrible in a saltwater tank , and IMO a big waist of money .
just realize the amount of work maintaining a fake insert tank to a live coral tank is about the same except you don't get the joy of seeing things grow and spread natural tanks provide a natural filtration as plastics do not , something to think about ,
remember taking short cuts don't make it easier it just leads you to be unhappy over time , wishing you went live from the start , another thing to consider is the fish's natural environment , a lot of saltwater critters like to burrow into rocks with a fake inserts these critters hermits /shrimp / crabs can't do there normal activity's , and most likely wont be happy
Old 12-30-2015, 11:28 PM   #10

So went and purchased Live Rock and happy with the outcome. Once up and running, coral frags will be purchased. Can't wait to add those.

Thanx all for your input

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com