False Percula Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I purchased two, non-mated pair, false percula clownfish. They are relatively small, about 1" or so. I have heard and read that these fish are aggressive to their own kind and won't do well in small systems. However, these two have been sticking close together rarely venturing out alone. They have not fought with each other at all since I got them.

From what I have described, is it possible that they will become a mated pair? If so, what are my chances? And if not, can they peacefully co-exist in a small tank of 20 gallons.

I also have a damsel in there that's pretty aggresive towards the clownfish. Every now and then it charges at them. I am trying to get it out of the tank but with all the live rock in there, its impossible. And unlike the clownfish, this damsel is a fast swimmer. Can I get some help on trying to catch it?

thanks,

$imple

At that size, I think your chances of them pairing up are pretty good. Good luck with the damsel. Last time I had to catch one, I had to remove all my rock. There are fish trap ideas on here. I've never used one. I didn't know about them when I had to remove my damsel. I think you cut the top off a two liter bottle put some bait in the bottom and invert the cut off part back into the bottle. I'm sure if you do a search on here you'll get lots of ideas/pictures. HTH

The soda bottle trap works like a charm. I did it about a week ago. I had 2 damsels. I caught the first one within an hour. The second one within another hour. I just used a frozen cube of plankton for bait. The damsel will swim around the bottle because he smells the food. Just leave it and come back later. He'll be in the bottle trying to escape moments later. You may even catch other hitchikers. I could almost guarantee you'll catch them.

wow I should have been more patient. I just took out all 26 lbs of live rock out of my tank and finally caught him. Now I have no idea what to do with him. I'll call my LFS and see if they'll take him for free or maybe trade for a hermit crab.

I'm so frustrated right now. I'm thinking of dumping the guy into the pacific (a minute drive from home) if the LFS doesnt take him. Sounds cruel but he's worse than Scott Peterson. Harassing my two new perculas and killing another damsel (which I have yet to find)...ARGH!!!! I need to execute him but I am merciful and will give him away.

Are tank raised false perculas easier to mate? I have one clown now but want to get another, i've also read that you can have several in a tank if they are tank raised. TIA.

well I believe juveniles are easy to keep together. I got two young false perculas and they act like best friends. I am willing to put money down that they will become a mated pair but I don't want to curse my chances so I'll see how it goes.

$imple said:
wow I should have been more patient. I just took out all 26 lbs of live rock out of my tank and finally caught him. Now I have no idea what to do with him. I'll call my LFS and see if they'll take him for free or maybe trade for a hermit crab.

I'm so frustrated right now. I'm thinking of dumping the guy into the pacific (a minute drive from home) if the LFS doesnt take him. Sounds cruel but he's worse than Scott Peterson. Harassing my two new perculas and killing another damsel (which I have yet to find)...ARGH!!!! I need to execute him but I am merciful and will give him away.
Not to be mean or anything, but maybe you should have done your research on that type of fish before buying it. Throwing that fish in the pacific will kill it for sure. imagine how many damsel fish have been killed due to the method of buying less exspensive fish to cycle a tank.

Lol....I'm not going to throw it into the pacific. I was just venting my frustration at it. I didn't buy it for cycling however. My cycling damsels died a long time ago (I now regret using fish in the first place). Unfortunately, the fish died on route from tank to LFS. I dropped it once, made a big spill, and then tipped over the container and before I could get water it was gone (I was using one of those Lee BettaHex thingies).

Back
Top Bottom