Fastest/cycle/test?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i put my shrimp in the 3rd...i tested for everything that night with my fastest master kit, and everything showed 0 across the board. well today (the 5th) i tested for my ammonia again and it seems to be off the charts! correct me if im wrong on reading this...if u are familiar with the fastest kit it starts with 0 being the lightest green color and 0.8 being the highest number and darkest green...well when i tested my water color after 15mins seems to be darker than any color on my chart...am i reading this correctly and should my ammonia be this high this shortly into the cycle...i didnt expect it to rise this fast...i havnt even gotten my base rock put in yet, all i have is my sand in...i thought it would take longer so i figured i would go ahead and start the cycle before my base rock got here and just add the rock during the cycle

I think your readings are probably correct. Do you have your rock in yet?

If the bacteria has a place to build, it should start to convert to nitrite and so on.

REVHTREE is here to save me again! no rev my base rock isnt in yet :( is this a bad thing or will it be fine for me to add it in a day or two when it comes in....i didnt expect my ammonia to rise so quickly is this a sign of a quick cycle?

You'll be fine.. the bacteria will colonize the sand and sides of the tank in the meantime.

so when my base rock from hirock gets in...in the next couple of days i can just add it and it wont hender my cycling process..correct...also my nitrites appear to be at about 0.2 or 2 ppm everything seem correct to u guys....sorry for so many questions but i just hate to wing things when i can get advice from u guys before i do something wrong and u guys have gotten me this far thanks again..im getttin closer and closer

If anything the rock will help improve the cycle, not hamper it. The surface area of the dry rock will offer much more biological space for bacteria to colonize.

Let the shrimp stay until the ammonia and nitrites have reached zero. As long as you don't add any LR, just let it go on it's own.

Cheers
Steve

im gonna add some live rock after my cycle is complete (10lbs)...so do u guys think that my cycle is going fast since im already off the chart on ammonia and already showing 0.2 in nitrites?

crage34 said:
im gonna add some live rock after my cycle is complete (10lbs)...
Depending on where you get your LR from locally or delivered, there may also be some more die off and a mini cycle of sorts. Be sure you do not add any fish or other animals until after that's done unless you cure it seperately. If it's from the LFS, chances are good you won't see anything at all.

so do u guys think that my cycle is going fast since im already off the chart on ammonia and already showing 0.2 in nitrites?
Actually the ammonia is usually the fastest part of the cycle. It can jump and subside in as little as 10 days. The longest period is typically the nitrite which can last for weeks. I would wait until the NO2 has subsided before you get ahead of yourself. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Also...the fastest kits are not the best in the world. I started with one and finally switched to a Seachem kit.....much more acurate and easy to read. I also use Seachem for the ites and ates. It's worth the extra $$ to buy the better kits both for your tank and your peace of mind.

yeah they are a little hard to read...i will buy a better kit after i use these up...i just bought the fastest cause it had a master kit at the lfs i bought my supplies from...also i will be gettin my lr from lr.com and i was planning on adding it and waiting to see if i had a mini before any fish where added
thanks very much very one u are all very helpful and i would be this far without ya :)

Back
Top Bottom