Feather duster? Can i?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 90 gallon that has been set up for about 2-3 months. I have 2 clown fish, 2 fire fish, diamond watchman goby, royal gramma and a lamarcks angelfish, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, and misc snails/crabs.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I have a sump with Live rock and macro Algae.

The tank has about 100 lbs or more of live rock.

With that out of the way, I don't have very good lighting but want something new. I was thinking feather duster. Any suggestions?

I don't see why not but I am no expert. My duster just recently died. Not sure why and I have not checked my water yet. I think it's because I relocated it to the top of the tank. It was doing just fine at the bottom on the sand.

I don't see why not.... I believe dusters are filter feeders anyways so the lighting may be moot. :)

Yea but does the tank need to be well "established"?

Established tanks mean no phosphates nitrates, no fluctuation in parameters. You are fine to put a feather duster in, if I were you I would get a few of them since they normally are Cheep.

What about food for them? I read that they need plankton and I don't think I have any in my tank

I've had a feather duster for almost a year now and I don't add anything to my water.

Sergie said:
I've had a feather duster for almost a year now and I don't add anything to my water.

How old was your tank when u got him?

Sergie said:

Your tank would be creating phytoplankton after a year,so you wouldn't need to supplement.In fairly new tanks ,depending on what type food is being used,some supplementing would be beneficial.

Supplement with what? How do I speed up the plankton?

Currently I feed twice a day. Once with a cube of frozen brine shrimp, once with marine flake and marine pellets.

Mine was brand new. I had just transferred my 30 into a 46 and it crashed killing everything. A month after I cycled the 46 I bought the rock with the duster. 7 months later I trasnferred again into a 90 and used new water and it survived. 3 months later I moved and got rid of all the water and it's still alive 2 months later. Haven't added any type of food for it since the crash.

Bloomk said:
Supplement with what? How do I speed up the plankton?

Currently I feed twice a day. Once with a cube of frozen brine shrimp, once with marine flake and marine pellets.

You can buy it,Marine Snow for example,other foods you can buy will have it listed as part of the ingredients.Every time you scrape your glass clean you are adding it to your water column.

Feather dusters are filter feeders. There is no need to feed them, it is a wast of money. A feather duster was the first thing that went into my tank after my two clownfish.

I got 2 dusters and one... Crap I forgot its name. The white one, I forget what it's called. Lol

But they game me this green liquid plankton duster food. How much should I use? How often?

Attachments

• image-1471377848.jpg
    image-1471377848.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2549553519.jpg
    image-2549553519.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 81
I noticed they open and close pretty often. Is that cause they are feeding?

It's just something they do when you first get them. Feather dusters go by the place and forget lol. They really need no attention as far as taking care of them. Flow should be low to medium.

Tomchong22 said:
It's just something they do when you first get them. Feather dusters go by the place and forget lol. They really need no attention as far as taking care of them. Flow should be low to medium.

No care? So do I or do I not need to feed them?

Back
Top Bottom