Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feather Duster is making a new tube or something?

I have had this duster for about 2 weeks, maybe more. Is he building a new tube? He only comes out every now and then and it is not far. Thanks. His brown tube has slowly been falling apart over time.

Old 06-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #2

Sounds like it is not happy with something or is sadly dying. I have FD's and they never come out of the tube. The tube gets longer. They never come out further than the feathers...It is my undeerstanding tht when they come out of the tube, they are unhappy or something is bothering them. Maybe parasite or something. Some Blue Legged hermits gnaw on the brown tube and disturb the FD.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bury my dusters in the sand...

http://www.marks-aquaticlife.com/fishshots5.html

and leave an inch or so exposed
Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm, maybe I will do some digging. I bought him this way, so I hoe nothing is wrong. He lost a lot of feathers but grew them back shorter. I think the current was too strong for the little ones.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #5

In the future, I would not purchase one if it doesn't look healthy like in the pictures on the web and in books. It is easy for a store to sell you something they know is doomed. There are a few stores like that around here.
It is my understatnding that you shouldn't bury them in the sand. I have read that they should be attached to the rocks or wedged in them or they will rot and die. I noticed on mine, the end was kind of clear almost like an opening...so, if that is what it is, it may not be a good idea to bury them in the sand.. In the wild, they do not grow like that. They grow on the sides of rocks...
Old 06-05-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I wont do any digging. I am not gonna take him out or anything. I grabbed him and pulled him out into veiw this morning, he has been in a cave. If he does not pull through I am still gonna try and keep one. I really like the looks. Plus, I love how the feathers conceal the cave where I had him.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, he has no more feathers, does this mean he is dead? I leave for the beach soon and want to take him out if he is dead. I dont think my dad will know if he is dead or not, so I would like to know.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
They donít necessarily die if they donít have feathers; they do grow them back, however this coupled with the fact yours is on the move doesnít really bode well for itís future. Although I think you should give it some time.

You can bury them in the sand if you like, I donít think itíd be too much of a problem. They donít grow in the sand in the wild due to the fact they canít really get sturdy, and they are susceptible to predators because they canít latch on to anything solid. However in an aquarium, it probably wouldnít be too bad. Although Tim is right, rot could very well be a concern. I have always just attached them to rocks..

Good luck
WuRtZLeSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I still don't know what it is, I think he has moved a bit though.

Tags
eat, feather duster, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com