feather duster question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was at the LFS today getting a blenny and saw a few beautiful Feather dusters. I'm thinking of adding one to my tank, but don't know much about them.

I have 2 false percs, 2 peppermint shrimp, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a firefish, the new blenny (doing great) and a handful of snails.

My Qs: Will all these guys get along with a feather duster?

Where do you place a FD (ie on my LR, on the substrate?)

Do they need any special care, lighting etc, besides supplemental food.

Hey Clownfish,

I'm no expert on the matter but I have read that feather dusters will do best on a sandy bottom where they can bury some of their tube. They also require a good amount of food in the tank (plankton etc..) but are easily kept if fed well. HTH!!

I'm sure others will give you more accurate feedback from personal experience.

I have been close myself to buy a feather duster, just havent yet. From what I know c-bass is pretty on about feeding. They can live in low light with low water flow and are not very difficult to keep and maintain. Thats just what ive heard from my LFS who all know a great deal about this stuff. HTH! If anyone has heard or experienced anything different than what I have said please correct me.

A feather duster is a worm, it is not photosynthetic, so it has no light requirements what-so-ever. If likes decent flow (to bring it food) and is not tolerant of poor water conditions. Target feeding is a must, for longevity.

I use flake food in a cup of tank water and a turkey baster...Just put a small amount in the cup and add a bit of tank water, stir it up and disolve the food, and suck it up and squirt it on them with the turkey baster... Mine love it..

Great feeding advice, but will they get along (ie survive) with shrimp and blennies? Most worried about the shrimp...

Peppermmints have been known to pick at zoanthuds and dusters on occassion. It is not a certainty and usually quite rare. I am sure if they get a regular amount of food when the fish are fed, they will not be a concern. There will be no problem with the fish listed above.

Cheers
Steve

Are they pretty easy to take care of? i have some stupid fake plants in my tank...i wanna get them the heck outta there but i want something in there. Will feather dusters do fine in my tank? I have a 30 gal with LR/LR/astreas/nassariuss/blue leg hermits/and 2 clown fish for now...i plan on adding a small flame angel later.

The flame may nip at the dusters but it is usually large angels that commonly do this. I have many giant hawaiian dusters with a flame and so far has not been a problem.

I do not really see a problem with adding a few at all. :D

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom