Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
FED UP WITH NITRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a perfectionist. I can't handle anything being wrong. The following are the conditions of my tank:

Temperature: 81 degrees
Ammonia: inbetween 0 and .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate!: 30PPM

No matter how many water changes i do, i cant get the **** Nitrate to go lower. I want the level to be zero. I heard about some ion exchange resin or something like that, which removes nitrate? Surely with all this technology, heart bypass surgery, man on the moon, there must be SOME way to completely eradicate my Nitrate levels. Does anyone know any method? ANYTHING AT ALL? even if its an unproven home-made remedy, i am willing to try it.

My tank is a 40 Gallon saltwater tank with:

50 Pounds of Live Rock
2 inches of live sand
10 Fish + 2 Anemones + 1 Arrow Crab + Sea Star + Cucumber + Various Janitorial inverts( snails mini crabs)

Two 65 watt 50/50 power compacts (with actynics)---> Coralife (thanx darin)

I have two powerheads, and a 150 gallon rated Wet/Dry filter with the blue bio ball thingies. I also have a Canister filter. Overall, when you add everything together, the flow of water is roughly 450 Gallons per Hour. Pardon me if im being too detailed, its just im trying to think of all the questions you all normally ask

Is there anything that can be done to make my water 100% perfect? I know nitrate isn't that toxic to fish, but im planning on adding corals, so if any of you have ANY tips/advice/scolding/constructive criticism, lemme have it!

Sincerely-
The Paranoid Aquarist

Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: FED UP WITH NITRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubvibez
My tank is a 40 Gallon saltwater tank with:

10 Fish
That's your main problem. Reduce the fish population.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to klubvibez
the fish are small. The largest one is a Valentini Puffer. The rest of them are all the size of two guitar picks placed next to eachother. (Baby clownfish)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
number of fish maybe...

Can try adding a clam or 2 and some mangrove plants !
Old 01-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
what kind of water do you use...i use tap and my levels are out the roof...but iowa's water quality sux...i tested the water before i mix it and put it in there and its at 30 to start with....seachem makes stuff called de-nitrate i think...not for sure how it works .. you mix it into your substrate i think. good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a refugium with at least 1/3 volume of the main tank with DSB and macroalgae would make a big difference.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Refuge or remove a couple fish.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Even if the fish were all 1" (doubt if they are), you would still be overstocked. The optimal amount of fish for a SW system is 2" of adult size fish per 10 gallons. Assuming that your fish average 2", then you have more than double the bioload for that tank size.
That is certainly at the heart of your problem and it will only get worse as the fish grow. All the water movement in the world will not make up for an overloaded tank.
A sump/refugium would help(for now), but for long term health, it would be of benefit to thin down the population a bit.
JMO
Old 01-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In addition to reducing the bioload you may want to work on the wet dry filter. The bio balls are known for creating high nitrates. You can remove them and add LR rubble. Just remember that LR rubble needs to be completely underwater at all times.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I second what RMPD109 said, the bio ball will cause nitrates to go up. If you are serious about this, remove the bioballs (a little at a time) and use LR rubble, then build a small refugium, that will really help. It doesn't have to be big, mine is small and does the trick. Nothing fancy needs to be in there, just get some chaeto macroalgae and the nitrates will decrease.

here is some info on my fuge....

Here goes....
Measurements for my fuge container are 12L x 9W x 12H. I don't know how many gallons it is. Not many, but it appears enough to keep nitrates at 0 (love to have a bit bigger one, but not enough space).

Below are some pics. I basically run a small powerhead in my sump with some tubing over it, it pumps water into the fuge via a small hole in the top of the lid. the water is returned into the sump by gravity. I drilled 2 holes and added 2 bulkheads on the side of the fuge to return the water. One is placed a bit higher than the other and works as a backup in case the lower one clogs up. The flow is minimal in the fuge, but it appears to be just enough. Let me know if you have any questions.

HTH,
Jim

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com