feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I am in the process of taking back my kole tang but until then I need to feed him is brine shrimp ok?
My two clownfish and wrasse both eat brine shrimp right? And only once a day?

Tang are herbivores, some seaweed sheets would be best. You are going to want to feed your fish a variety of foods for long term health and vibrant coloration ie-flakes, frozen, pellets, etc. The link above has more info . You can even make your own blender mush using fresh, raw, seafood.

ok can all my fish eat the same thing?If I do the blender thing we they all eat that and how often should I feed them? Should I do a variety of different food? If so please let me know what and when and how much. Thanks a lot guys you are all life savers since no one at my LFS knows anything.

The bold link goes into all the detail of what and how much.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=632407

Most fish can eat the same things but as Mike pointed out certain fish like Tangs are best fed nori (seaweed) sheets since they are herbivores. Depending on the size of the tang a 2X2 or 3X3 sheet on a clip daily should be fine. Remove any not consumed after a couple of hours.

I agree that variety is the key. Brine is really of no nutritional value. Almost like sitting down to supper to a plate full of twinkies. Hope all goes well

ok thanks guys I will get that asap for my tang but is brine ok for a few days until I can get the other? My LFS is a joke. They say all I need is brine...

oh ya and I like your analogy :)

You`ll be OK for a few days but get that tang some greens as soon as possible.

I agree, a couple of days will be ok. You could buy some Selcon and Zoe, to suppliment their diet, by soaking their food in it for about 20 minutes.

You can also feed tangs spinach, broccoli, or peas in addition to seaweed if you have any of those. Start feeding a good and varied diet and soon your fish are going to be much happier and healthier. Good luck

As Scott mentioned, dietary suppliemnts are just as important as feeding a high quality and balanced diet. Don't forget the Selxon, vita-chem and garlic (or similar product). Happy and healthy tangs also need a seaweed to graze on.

Back
Top Bottom