Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Feeding Advice

Just a few days ago my girlfriend and I received an aquarium from her brother who is in the process of moving out of state. We currently have one porcupine puffer, two lion fish, and two toad fish. I am currently seeking help from people in the fish identification forum as to what these toad fish are actually called.

Enough about what’s in the tank…on to the feeding question.

We have been feeding these guys frozen shrimp as my girlfriend’s brother had done for months now. The puffer will hog all the food and not let anyone else eat any unless we separate him from the rest of the tank.

My question is how can we separate him easily without taking the puffer out of the tank every day when it’s time to feed the fish? I feel like that is a lot of stress on the little guy that if we can avoid I would like too.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Mackey256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Target feed the fish by using a feeding prong and not pouring the food into the tank. That is what I do in my predator tanks. This way you know they are all getting to eat. Other then that, you might find a piece of plexiglass or egg crate to make a temporary divider when you feed.

Can I ask what size tank that is? It seems like A LOT of fish in there.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
I'm also thinking that a temporary divider is more than likely the best way to go. Thanks for the very quick reply to this question.

And to answer yours it’s a 125 Gal. glass aquarium.

Thanks again,
Old 10-20-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hara is on it!

The toadfish are probably venomous... be careful.
Fish do not read books, nor care what we think.
afishyonados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
The toad fish ARE venomous. That is one of the very few things I do know about those fish.

I went to the store the other day and picked up a plastic basket for a dollar. Then cleaned and re cleaned the thing out with warm water. Now when it’s feeding time all I have to do is scoop the puffer up in that and attach the basket the to top of the aquarium. The puffer has plenty of room to swim around and eat and the lion fish can consume at their leisure.

For the toad fish all I have do to is drop a piece of shrimp by the rock they are under and they shoot out and gobble the thing up and then shoot back to their hiding spot. It is really something to watch and I hope to get it on video during this next week and get that online. It’s really pretty cool. It’s amazing how fast they are.

Thanks for the help,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75034_bu_153.jpg (24.9 KB, 113 views)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com