Feeding Hermit Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 blue leg hermit crabs and 1 larger red hermit crab.

When I feed my fish I never see them running after any food that has dropped to the substrate. Will they find the food later? Do I need to feed them something different? Or is algae and little bits of scraps enough?

I have a 12 gallon tank. Feeding formula one and some mysis shrimp (frozen)... and a few flakes. Variety. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hermits are basically scavengers. They will eat anything and everything that drops to the bottom of the tank and in little crevices that you may not see.

When I feed my tank, I keep on eye on the hermits ... they are too funny! My scarlet's will basically jump off the rocks in order to catch food as it floats by. Hillarious!!!

Really? My red hermit crab is pretty quiet. Are scarlets - red hermit crabs or are they different?

that sounds so cute. :)

They'll find it later most likely, but mine would also jump off the rocks @ feeding time. I often used pellets for the bottom feeders - that's if my tang, clowns and midas blenny would ever let'm fall that far.

so are scarlets and red hermit crabs the same?

No. One is referred to as the Scarlet reef crab. The other I've seen referred to as dwarf red tip hermits. Check liveaqauria.com on the crabs. Maybe you'll see the dif there.

Back
Top Bottom