Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Feeding -- How much?

My tank is full of life. 1 Yellow Tang, 3 Green Chromis, 2 Yellow Damsels, plenty of hermits and snails, 1 Fire Shrimp, et. al.

I've been feeding them Algae Pellets and Frozen Brine Shrimp.

Quantity: 1/3 of a block per day (frozen brine).

What is the recommended amount?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure there is a recommended amount. Usually good to do enuf food for it to be consumed within 3 min or so. Need to gauge on your fish's eating to make sure there's not way too much extra food droppping to the bottom IMO. A few pellets dropping to the bottom are OK for the crabs and shrimp.

Also, not sure the brine is providing a lot of nutrition and vitamin. Might want to look into some vitamin enriched and garlic for the frozen food stuff. I alternate between garlic enhanced Ocean Nutrition Flakes, pellets, and frozen. If not already garlic enhanced, I add a bit of Garlic Guard.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Thanks, can do.

Adding SeaChem reef vitamins weekly. Will try the garlic enriched food and vary the diet. ...attempting to keep water clearer on surface. ...probably not overfeeding at all.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Adding SeaChem reef vitamins weekly
Are those for fish or just the corals?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with Ray on the brine, not the best food. Lacks much nutritional value.
Also check out San Fransisco brand frozen foods, great stuff.
You tang need more green food. You should get some nori for him and clip it in the tank every day. You can get nori (sushi seaweed) and any asia food store, most LFS's and even at many large grocery stores. You can get the clip online or at most LFS. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noriclip0001_171.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1506  
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Feeding is one of the most important aspects of fish keeping. Feeding froozen brine alone will not give fish the nutrition they need. It is like potato chips. There is really no value in it, it just fills them up. Froozen krill or mysis is a much better option. Look for food that is "gut loaded" or vit. enriched. Feed a variety of food. Some froozen, some flake and a good mix of algeas and meats. Vitamin addatives are also very important. Soaking the food in a suppliment like Selcon or VitaChem is a great idea. Lastly, do not over-feed. It can degrade water conditions quickly. I disagree with the "feed two ro three times a day" rule. Light feedings every other day will be just fine. think quality over quantity. You should also hange some nori sheets in your tank on off feeding days for your tankg to graze on.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed my tank roughly 1/2 a cube of Formula 1, Formula 2 or Prime Reef every other day. I aslo clip a piece of Nori in my tank for the tank every day. I feed pellet or flake once in a while, but mostly I try to keep to the frozen stuff. If the fish don't leave anything for the inverts I'll toss in a couple of pellets.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank only gets mysis shrimp, krill, formula 1 and 2 cubes, and bio blend marine pellets (used when I don't have the time to thaw a frozen cube). A variety of high quality foods is your best bet.

I have no algae grazers, so no need for nori/seaweed.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks

I believe that I may have been only slightly overfeeding.

2 months of a yellow tang is teaching me a thing or 2 as she only seems to have a limited amount of room in that small tummy.

Regards
Old 04-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

My yellow tang hardly leaves anything for his mates. He eats more like horse. Thanks for advice on clip w/ Nori. Tweetie will be happy!

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com