Feeding Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
If live rock is "alive", what needs to be added to the water to promote healty and rapid growth?

After your cycle, the beneficial bacteria will grow on it. Any other life should grow with PWC, proper lighting. I'm not sure what you are trying to do. You want a tank with just live rock? No fish or corals?

You want a tank with just live rock? No fish or corals?

Now that would be an interesting tank - Just Rock 8O :D 8O

I am cycling a 46gal FOWLR tank and have just added 45lbs of Fiji rock, that looks lifeless, to the 10lbs of LR that is covered with deep purple coraline.

I was just curious to know if there are additives recommended to enhance growth on the new rock. I have lots of water movement. Running an AC300, Eheim2227 wet/dry, AC301 PH and a AC402 PH. Its like a hurricane in that tank.

Probably won't have livestock for a few weeks.

Blueish lights may help with coriline.

When your ammonia levels start dropping, start adding a tad of powdered fish food every other day or so, then there will be plenty of nutrients for any surviving filter feeders on your rock.

When I first got my LR in the tank I got this stuff that is supposed to help with the coraline algea and anything else that maybe barely alive on it. Its called REEF VITAL DNA. It seemed to help out for me. My levels started to level out and the rock started to grow coraline like crazy. It could have just done it on its own too. I dont like additives but it seemed to work. HTH

Back
Top Bottom