Feeding Live Rock & Cleaning Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be starting my "extended cycling"* of my 40 Gallon Breeder Tank soon.

My Live Rock will be cycling in my tank for 4 to 6 weeks with any fish or cleaning crew. My concern is for the hitchikers. One on my reasons for my extended cycle is to preserve as many hitchhikers as possible.

I am wondering if and what I should feed my live rock before the arrival of my cleaning crew and fish? Should I just throw in a few flakes of food each day? Should I need to feed any of the cleaning crew when they arrive?? I am guessing they will have a lot of algae at this point to dine upon.

I have a few weeks/months before I need to worry..but just looking for some advice.

Thanks

WC

*Extended Cycling:

1. Cycling a DSB and 30lbs of Dry Base Rock (Hirocks.com) with a fresh cocktail shrimp from Grocery Store. To establish a good base biological filter on the Base Rock and in the DSB
2. Adding 40lbs of Liverock (20 Keys/20 Gulf from liverocks.com) and watch for any cycling that may occur...in an attempt to preserve the majority of life on the Live Rock
3. When total stable....will add Cleaning Crew...
4. When tank looking good...finally some fish!
...thats the plan anyway

These guys dont need regular feeding as a fish would. Adding soem flake once a week would be more than fine for these guys. The truth is most of what they need would be found on the rock already.

Back
Top Bottom