Feeding Mini Mysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emceeee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fit
Hello,

I bought some Mini Mysis cube. Right now I only have two fish - a false percula 1 1/2" (Matthew), and a Pajama Cardinal 2" (Melodi). The LFS said I should feed 1/4 of a cube at a time and recommended I use a fine net so the liquid doesn't contaminate my tank.

Should I thaw one cube, divide it into 4, then refreeze the 3 I won't use right away?

Do I put the portion I am going to feed into the net after the juices have drained and shake the net to release the food?

Elementary questions, no doubt.

you can cut the cubes with a butter knife while they are still frozen. Just cut what you need and put the rest back before it thaws out. i would put a little tank water in a glass with the food to help it melt quickly then just put like an old credit card over the edge of the glass and strain off as much of the water as you can. It does not have to be perfect. It just helps to get a bit of the phosphates and stuff out of the food before you put it in the tank. Others may do it differently. Using the net as a strainer would probably work as well.

Feed what your fish will consume. Thaw a cube in a net (I prefer brine shrimp net for small food items) and refreeze what isn't used. Nutrients do degrade after refreezing, but some things can't be helped and if you chop the cube beforehand the mysis come out in pieces ime.

I have done it both ways. Refreeze the unused portion and cut the cubes. I don't have to cut my cubes now as I have a fair amount of fish and they devour 2 cubes easily.

I think using the small net is a great idea and if you rinse the food off in RO/DI water or some of the tank water before feeding you will reduce the phosphates you introduce to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom