Feeding my anemone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmg108

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well ive had him for over a week and I have finally figured out a successfull way of feeding him (I think) I been using frozen cubes of reef plankton and so far I have just been feeding about 1/3 of the cube a day...am I under feeding him or over feeding? Given the clowns love the stuff and usually swoop in and eat alot of what I put in for him.
Another thing about feeding, I started out with feeding flakes to my damsels but since I started putting the frozen food in there they do not act interested in the flakes anymore...should I just stop trying to feed them flakes because they end up getting sucked in the filter before its eaten....thanks for the help

I feed mine Rod's Food... but I would not feed everyday Anemone mostly live off of photosynthesis which also with your feeding of clowns and other fish they would still get what they can for feeding.... But I would check with the other maybe they give some better advice I am still new with my Anemone. I think you might be over feeding..

Yeah, I'm told to feed the anemone like once every 3 days or so with the chopped raw shrimp. As for the flakes, I think fishes like variety of different food, but since you've been feeding the anemone every day, which you shouldn't, with the live food, fishes are more interested with the food that it has to catch, so if I was you, I will take turns, one day flakes, and one day something else, like pellet and one day it's the frozen cubes, so it doesn't get bored...

2-3 times a week at most with meaty foods like silver sides, krill, shrimp would be good. Once a week is probably better. Your clowns, if they are hosting the anemone, will bring small bits of food to it from time to time.

Wow, I guess I have been way over feeding...every 3 days, really? Glad I asked this question!!
Yeah I like the idea of switching up what i feed them everyday. I dont think that I would like to eat the same thing everyday for the rest of my life!!

One other thing just out of curiosity, this may be a stupid question but to the hermits actually eat fish waste or algea only??

hermits will eat both animal matter and algae. They are kind of like garbage disposals. They will eat anything they can fit in their mouth (cyano usually excluded). Some people aren't fond of them but i love them and think they are a valuable addition to a CUC.

Yeah I like my Mini Blue Hermits I think they do the best job at cleaning up the mess... IMO

I've had my anemone 5-6 years. I never fed it.

Wow, seriously? Well I guess it lived on filtering what fish food the fish did not eat.

Tank, to be honest I dont know the formal name for the anemone i have, look at my photos of it, you may be able to tell me. An aquaintance that I was talking to yesterday told me a clown will not host the type that I have. Not too worried about it though, its cool to look at.

I have a GIANT RBTA that I never feed directly either. It gets bits of mysis from the clowns and when I feed my fish. Feeding an anemone regularly isn't as good for it as you may think. They burn a lot of energy digesting the food. As long as you have good lighting and excellent water conditions they don't need to be fed.

What kind of anemone do you have?

Here is a shot of my RBTA

1012585mediumsj3.jpg

Like I said, I am not sure what the exact name of it is..yeah that sounds bad but here is a picture of it, maybe you can tell me what it is exactly...

Sorry that is the best shot I can get with where its at in my tank..decided to sit where its at lol

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom