Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Feeding New Fish

Hello, I just got a new fish last night and he hasn't really eaten anything yet. I tried feeding him this morning, he took one very tiny bite, very tiny and left the rest to float away. When I got home, I removed the rest as it was floating around in the water. I hadn't given him much. Just a tiny piece of frozen formula one food. He's a Diadema Pseudochromis (Dottyback)... Should I try feeding him again or wait a day? I don't want him to starve!

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
steve-s

Not unusual for new fish but one thing to keep in mind is feeding habits unatural to the fish must be "learned". Once it recognizes the Formula food for what it is, it will start eating it. Give it some time but also alternate in some foods it will recognize like mysis and such. This is a zooplankton feeder.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

maybe getting a tiny clown that's easier to feed would entice him to eat? right now most of the rest of the food just floats around. one of my hermit crabs had a feast tonight!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
I dislike dottybacks They are aggressive to any fish that they can pick on even big peaceful fishes

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Really? What do they do? Chase after them?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Yea, and tear their fins and such. I hated mine and returned it. It even attacked my cleaner shrimp.

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow! Hmmmm... This one doesn't seem too bad ‚ÄĒ¬*he's super shy! I'll have to keep you posted!!! Thanks for the info though. Clowns are semi-aggressive and so are dwarf angels... Those are the two other fish I'd like to get once this one settles in.

Do you think I should try and pick up some sort of garlic solution for his food. Maybe that'll get him to eat. Does anyone have any experience with those products?

Well today I fed him some blood worms that I normally feed my betta and he actually went to the surface of the water to feed! Hmmm... Maybe I'm to something?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Try food that doesn't float very long. He might not like to eat at the top of the water. I add the food in fron of the power head and it sinks and spreads it around.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2
Clowns are semi-aggressive and so are dwarf angels... Those are the two other fish I'd like to get once this one settles in.
I brought this up before and you seemed to completely diregard it so I will say it again. One pseudochromis is too much for a 12 gallon tank, adding anymore fish would be a disaster in the making, especially a Centropyge angel. The clown would most likely not fair well either.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hmmmm,,, thanks Steve but most books and sites list Pseudochromis as fish that are appropriate for nano reef tanks under 15 gallons. I know lots of friends that have them in a community tank (3 fish, no more) in small setups and they all seem very happy. But I will keep you posted and let you know. Also... If you go on Aquarium Advices fish compatability chart on this site... You'll see that these fish are compatbile with most of all the other fish just not other Pseudochromis. I also recommend another excellent book that just came out on Nano reefs under 15 gallons...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079...Fencoding=UTF8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish_140.jpg (162.8 KB, 23 views)

Tags
feeding, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com