Feeding New Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I just got a new fish last night and he hasn't really eaten anything yet. I tried feeding him this morning, he took one very tiny bite, very tiny and left the rest to float away. When I got home, I removed the rest as it was floating around in the water. I hadn't given him much. Just a tiny piece of frozen formula one food. He's a Diadema Pseudochromis (Dottyback)... Should I try feeding him again or wait a day? I don't want him to starve!

Thanks.

Not unusual for new fish but one thing to keep in mind is feeding habits unatural to the fish must be "learned". Once it recognizes the Formula food for what it is, it will start eating it. Give it some time but also alternate in some foods it will recognize like mysis and such. This is a zooplankton feeder.

Cheers
Steve

maybe getting a tiny clown that's easier to feed would entice him to eat? right now most of the rest of the food just floats around. one of my hermit crabs had a feast tonight!

Really? What do they do? Chase after them?

Wow! Hmmmm... This one doesn't seem too bad — he's super shy! I'll have to keep you posted!!! :) Thanks for the info though. Clowns are semi-aggressive and so are dwarf angels... Those are the two other fish I'd like to get once this one settles in.

Do you think I should try and pick up some sort of garlic solution for his food. Maybe that'll get him to eat. Does anyone have any experience with those products?

Well today I fed him some blood worms that I normally feed my betta and he actually went to the surface of the water to feed! Hmmm... Maybe I'm to something?

Try food that doesn't float very long. He might not like to eat at the top of the water. I add the food in fron of the power head and it sinks and spreads it around.

L2 said:
Clowns are semi-aggressive and so are dwarf angels... Those are the two other fish I'd like to get once this one settles in.
I brought this up before and you seemed to completely diregard it so I will say it again. One pseudochromis is too much for a 12 gallon tank, adding anymore fish would be a disaster in the making, especially a Centropyge angel. The clown would most likely not fair well either.

Cheers
Steve

Hmmmm,,, thanks Steve but most books and sites list Pseudochromis as fish that are appropriate for nano reef tanks under 15 gallons. I know lots of friends that have them in a community tank (3 fish, no more) in small setups and they all seem very happy. But I will keep you posted and let you know. Also... If you go on Aquarium Advices fish compatability chart on this site... You'll see that these fish are compatbile with most of all the other fish just not other Pseudochromis. I also recommend another excellent book that just came out on Nano reefs under 15 gallons...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/104-4586175-3788714?_encoding=UTF8

Attachments

• fish_140.jpg
    fish_140.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 23
Dottyback can be kept in nano tanks but since they are VERY territorial, new inhabitants will surely get some beating :) They are generally not suitable fishes for community tanks with smaller fishes (MarineDepotLive said so too)

Do not rely on the seller for accurate information either. Look for proper references in books and reliable literature. The minimum recommended size for this species specifically is 20 gal, most Pseudochromis are actually recommended for 30 gal or larger due to their territorial nature.

Cheers
Steve

OK

GUYS

My clown and my Dottyback sleep TOGETHER!!! They are like best friends. I'm not even kidding!!! It's sort of scary how cute they are together. But my Dottyback isn't at all aggressive. Very sweet. They are always together. And tonight my clown was sleeping on a rock and my Dottyback was right next to him in a nook!!!!!! So cute.

:)

Back
Top Bottom