Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Are you planning on upgrading? If not, it might even be a streach to have two in there. You may want to post in the Nano subforum, those folks have more experience in keeping nanos and other suggestions.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

not going to be upgrading for a bit, eventually I will be though...

just got some vita chem, brine, and garlic extreme.. hopefully they will like it!

EDIT: just fed them.. they arent too interested in it, they kind of bite at it and spit it out, it's almost as if they don't know what to do with it.. any ideas?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. It's an O. Clown, for sure.

2. My O.Clown devours mysis (not brine) shrimp (thawed in aquarium water, no garlic/selcon/etc.), and sucks up the Formula One "small" pellets, and does eat the Prime Reef flakes also. But the flakes are by far it's least favorite, although he seems to suck those up pretty good too. I found you have to pulverize those flakes into pretty small bite-size pieces and dunk them under the surface to get them into the water column.

After about 2 weeks of getting used to me though, my O.Clown now comes to the surface and pretty much pulls the food out of my fingers and will eat the pulverized flakes off the surface. Yours probably will too once they settle in.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

have you tried brine shrimp at all? do they not like them?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:08 AM   #15

Absolutely O clown.

I agree that your tank is to small. Have you ever seen them full grown? They actually get decent size from young and thick too.

My clowns would eat me if they could. I have alot of foods such as Omega 1 pellets, flakes, Mysid, ,zooplankton, cyclopseeze(spelling).....and they have eaten every single thing.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't tried brine shrimp. From what I've heard/read, they don't have much nutritional value by themselves.

When I bought mine from the fish store, I asked what they'd been feeding them. They said a mixture of mysis/bloodworms/clams. I've tried bloodworms by themselves, and he just picks at them a little. Even mixed up with the mysis shrimp, he'll go around and just pick out the mysis shrimp! The clams (frozen bits) were too big for him, but even chopped up smaller he just sucked them up and then promptly spit them back out.

My feeding routine is...

Day One - frozen mysis
Day Two - Formula One small pellet
Day Three - frozen mysis
Day Four - Prime Reef flake

... and repeat back from the beginning. I feed once a day, in the evening. I'd like to cut it back to once every other day, but think I'll hold off on that until he gets adjusted to his new bigger tank as he just moved in from the initial QT. He's a big pig, but then I hear most clowns are.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Did you soak for 30 mins? Also, use exactly what the garlic container tells you. If you put in too much, I have read it will confuse them.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:34 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I've fed my fish everything from flake to frozen to homemade blended concoctions but over all they always dig into Marine Cuisine which your lfs should sell.

I'd thaw your frozen food in a small cup of tank water and drain before adding. You can feed every day or every other day but I'd limit the amount to what they will eat within 2-3 minutes. Anymore and it will go to waste and foul up your small tank. For two young clowns ľ a cube every other day should be adequate.

Do you have a clean up crew that will eat any leftovers like hermits/snails?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clowns, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com