Feeding our friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christopherkath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I've been keeping saltwater aquariums for about 1.5 years and have finally realized just how dumb most of my LFS guys really are! My question for now (so many questions so little typing ability) is about feeding corals, leathers, and mushrooms. It would appear to me that I using Calcium, Strontium, Magnesium, Iodine, some sort of Alkalinity buffer(although I haven't had problems with that yet, I also knew nothing about the importance and use of calcium) Trace elements (use this), Plankton (use that), and some sort of Vit. I need to order some of this tonight (should have been earlier) as my LFS is clueless. I need recomendations on which products to use, which ones I should be testing for, and any other general thoughts on this area. I have a 75 gal reef thats in need of alot of help that I'm hoping to give it this weekend. I will have more questions but will try to keep them topical for best exposure and because I have a tendency to ramble ( have ya noticed??) Time for me to hit the submit button :) Thanks and have a GREAT day - Chris -

Hey Chris,
There was actually a recent lengthy discussion about what folks feed their aquariums. This article talks about general blender mush which many use to feed their whole tank all at once.

There is also a reference in that article to ReefLady's recipe in particular that many have adopted.

christopherkath said:
It would appear to me that I using Calcium, Strontium, Magnesium, Iodine, some sort of Alkalinity buffer(although I haven't had problems with that yet, I also knew nothing about the importance and use of calcium) Trace elements (use this), Plankton (use that), and some sort of Vit. I need to order some of this tonight (should have been earlier) as my LFS is clueless. I need recomendations on which products to use, which ones I should be testing for
All the elements you have mentioned are necessary to some degree but one thing you should make absolutely sure of, never add anything to the tank unless you test for it first.

Alk, Ca and Mg are IMO a must for a reef tank. Alk/Ca should be monitored quite regularly until you have a good idea of the rate of depletion. Mg will not be needed all that often but it is a good aid when trying to solve problems. Iodine and the other minor elements do not really need much in the way of additions unless there is very heavy skimming as well as live nutrient export (caulerpa/Xenia). You will find that most foods you feed the tank will quite often keep these in line without further help.

If the coral load is light, then simple small weekly water changes will benefit much more and be much less $$ than a bunch of tests and bottled additives.

What you use is open for much debate and many have different preferences. Two part balanced additives for alk/Ca, buffers, Ca powders, CaCl liquids and kalkwasser for maintaining them. It really comes down to what you are most comfortable using, have time for and feel is effective.

HTH
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom