Feeding phyto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
O you guys recommend feeding phytoplankton to corals?

Antec said:
O you guys recommend feeding phytoplankton to corals?

Depends what type coral sps feed off of photosynthesis ive never fed my sps dominant 55g other than feeding the fish some people will some people wont but i think some lps require feedings

For LPS they get most of what they need by photosynthesis. Feed phyto in small doses won't hurt and I personally have found good growth by doing it. I feed it once a week with skimmer turned off and if you have one turn of the filter also. I like to do this in the evening after lights out and leave everything off till the following afternoon/evening. That gives all the coral a chance to get some as some close at night.

Why do you have to turn the skimmer off?

Antec said:
Why do you have to turn the skimmer off?

If you dont turn the skimmer off its likely to start foaming intensely from the phyto, also you want the phyto to stay in the tank for the feeding period instead of being removed by the skimmer.

As for feeding phytoplankton, i highly recommend it, however as with all feeding care must be taken to not overfeed the tank causing nitrate/phosphate problems.

Plankton is the base of the food chain, all life depends on it, not only corals but also micro organisms and fish/inverts. Its one great way of really feeding the entire tank not just coral.

I personally use ESV Freeze-Dried Phytoplankton about once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom