feeding schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi it says you should feed your fish 3+ times a day I get up at 6am in the morining when the fish are all a sleep my lights go on at 12pm I get home around 3 feed them then, around 5pm i feed again flakes, pellets somtimes meaty food when should I feed my fish? Or is this a good schedule

You'll get mixed opinions about feeding. IMO the most common is 1x per day, whether at the same time or varied.

However, some feed in very small amounts several times per day which allows for a more natural (to the livestock) feeding regime such as they would see in nature.

In any case variety seems to be key, though some will say a certain flake or certain pellet, will be all you need.

Just remember not to over feed too much as you will have increased algae and nitrates.

I think the rule of thumb that I heard is to feed no more than can be completely consumed in 3-5 minutes.

Agree with Mr. X. I just cut back to every other day myself to help reduce nitrates and costs.

in 3 to 5 minutes, fish can eat enough food to pollute a tank. that's a crazy rule..lol! I just fed mine, and i watched the time. I think it was 25 seconds.
When fish consume food, it's not gone. it's still in the tank. you must remove whatever you put in....visible or invisible, or you will start to have algae problems, poor water quality, etc.

Ok so once maybe twice in small amounts is plenty thxs

I apologize for my misguidance. I never really thought about it. I just do tiny pinches and I never timed it. Lol.

Sorry again! Thanks X for that catch.

Actually it all depends on the fish. My little 3" Oscars eats a partial protein/pellet diet 3 times a day

Most fish will be fine every other day. It just depends. I just lost my cleaner wrasse because that little guy needs to eat alot more than the others, LA suggests 3 times a day, and he didn't eat anything other than the tiniest mysis shrimp. He kept on getting out competed by all the other fish. He just kept getting skinnier until now, he's been missing 5 days...

I would say this is why your nitrates are out of control.

Everything that you put in there will turn into waste one way or another.

3x daily is massively over feeding.

Once a day max, maybe even once every other day.

Leighton79 said:
I would say this is why your nitrates are out of control.

Everything that you put in there will turn into waste one way or another.

3x daily is massively over feeding.

Once a day max, maybe even once every other day.

I'm sorry, whose nitrates?

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread, i suppose that's what I get for reading too many threads in one session.

Apologies.

Does anybody actually know about Oscars? I know how much to feed. I have done extensive research on these fish before I got them. So I hope everyone realizes that young Oscars do eat 3 times a day

Back
Top Bottom