Feeding Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My son has a starfish, what and how is the best way to feed them. He had an ick problem and has removed all of the fish from the tank into a QT, his 55 gallon has only the starfish and corals. Does he need to feed the starfish a particular diet?

To the best of my knowledge, what is referred to as the "Bahama Star" is the Oreaster reticulatus, aka the "Reticulated Cushion Star". These are referred to as omnivores, and there is anecdotal evidence that they will readily consume raw bivavle flesh (clam. scallop, oyster, etc.).

Most reference material indicates that the diet of these stars consist mostly of sponges, and micro-organisms found in a DSB.

starfish_cushion.jpg

BTW, I would not keep this star with corals - what I can find on it indicates that it will eat other invertebrates, and may eat coral polyps.

I would definitely try to feed it some small chunks of oyser, clam, scallop, etc.

FWIW, this star can grow up to 20" in diameter.

HTH,

Thanks to all who responded. So far it has not touched his corals but we will keep him well fed.

Back
Top Bottom