Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

feeding time

how do you guys feed your fish, i used to just put half a cube of mysis shrimp every few days in. would use RO water to thaw and rince off the cube in a fish net and then just dump it into the water but i realised that my two percs only get a little bit of shrimp. so i resently started using a medicine dropper. i put the net into the water and just suck up the shrimp and slowy squeeze it out around my percs.

this methos still doesn't work to well one is to afraid to come close and misses the food while the other gets some then swims off and comes back for more after. if i just dump it in my power heads and power filters blow the shrimp around the water

Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i just use ro water to thaw the cube and do a few spoonfulls into the power head current so it spreads around for everyone fish inverts etc

Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I heard some people just turn off all the PH so the food can sit still for smaller clowns to swim to them. I've recently got this new product (link below) from IO and its sort of like frozen food, but you dont need to freeze it. Its a gel and I just squeeze a tear drop size onto my finger and dip it into the water. Its soft so that if the food is too big for the clown, it'll break up and become smaller pieces. I just tried it today and they seem to like it more than formula one pellets and flakes

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/in...=1294&cid=5383
Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm maybe i'll try that.; i usually feed them new life spectrum marine formula pellets when i don't feed then the mysis shrimp, they seem to really liek it and in 3 months they have doubled in size so i don't think i'll be takign them off the new life pellets any time soon. i think i'll give them this gel food though, there is no harm in variety right
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only tried this new product because my clowns are pretty small and have a hard time eating even the small size pellets. Another good thing I notice about the gel is that even when the clown spits it out into small pieces, it remains in little droplets so it would just sink to the bottom instead of clouding your tank with nasty stuff
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

how big are they, mine were abotu an inch mayeb a little smaller when i got them, they never really had trouble eating the pellets i gave them but they did spit them out often and eat them again. now they will eat liek 4 pellets at a time.

in a way i don't mind the floating food it eventually falls to the botton and my hermits, shrimp and nasarius snails eat them, it just seems that my perc eat less because they miss the floating food
Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My male is about 1" and my female is 1.5" The pellets sink pretty fast so they would never really have a chance to eat it. The female doesn't really have trouble with the pellets but the male hardly is able to eat due to the female eating everything and his size.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just thaw a cube in a cup I've designated for my feeding. Pour a little in until they eat that then repeat until its gone. Seems to get everyone some shrimp.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ill prob try mysis shrimp next
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got a clown which is now about 6mm in length,One of my last fry left,he eats crushed flake.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com