Feeding time questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have my first fish. The LFS pointed me to Rods complete ROD'S FOOD -Providing your salt water aquarium with the finest food.. They stated they were using that instore. My fish are 2 small clowns about 1"-1 1/4" each, and a purple firefish. They said to just melt a small amount and pour it into the tank. This seems to just blow around from the filter and powerheads. Im not sure if they are eating enough. I also bought some pellets the smallest ones they had but the clowns cant seem to fit them into thier mouth. I also have frozen brine shrip on hand. Sould I shut down water movement during feeding? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
Graz

Turn off your pumps when you feed. It sound like your clowns are having a hard time catching the food. I feed my fish twice a day once in the morning some formula 2 and then the second time rod's food. I feed only enough so they can eat it in about 2 minutes.

What all do you have in tank (coral wise)? Personally I think rod's food is too messy and not needed. I tried it too but some peices are so small only filter feeders can eat it. But you should stop all flow when feeding this stuff.

I have a couple of plate coral in there that will benifit from the filtering. I guess i'll just kill the power when i feed. Just got to remember to turn it back on. They don't have a hard time getting the rods its just that it mostly hits the ground before they get it all, and the even the tiny pellets are just too big for thier little mouths.
Could I also try flakes?

Personally I don't care too much for pellets. I had bought some myself recently and my inhabitants wont touch it. The first time I fed it to them they went for it and would fight each other but they all just spit them out and the fire shrimp wound up eating them all himself (He is a total pig and would eat anything!). I have heard many times since buying the pellets that they contain phosphates as preservatives and can cause unnecessary algae in your tank. I myself use frozen foods such as mysis, brine, cyclops, and formula 1 or 2. However, my watchmen goby does not seem to care for this formula 1. I do switch up what I feed them everyday to give them a good beneficial diet and to keep them from eating just one thing so they wont get picky!

Back
Top Bottom