Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

feeding while on vacation

I have someone feeding while im in florida. Does my tank need the light to be on for algee bloom? How often does one damsel need to be feed?

adam_keene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
How long are you going to be gone? If only a week you don't really need anyone to feed. Be careful who feeds them also. Some people really LOVE to overfeed fish.

Most (I said most) women love to do this. My mom has a 5 gallon eclipse tank with some neons and they all look like they are literally going to explode. I have told her so many times to limit feeding but she won't do it.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

put your lights on a timer. So not to worry about it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Feed the fish well the few days leading up to the trip. The fish will be fine for a trip of 5 days or so. If you really feel the need to have someone feed the tank use sandwich bags or little cups or something and premesure the food to feed for the days your gone. Then hide the real food container. Folks who are not used to feeding fish will as AR15 mentioned over feed. Having the food premeasured and only the food needed for the time your gone around the person will be less likly to dump in way to much.

If possible have them come over at least for one feeding prior to your trip. I would be more concerned over evaporation thatn feeding the fish. For evaporation you can also have clean milk jugs full of top off water ready beside the tank so the person just has to come in and add water either to a predefined full mark or if you have a very predicitable evaporation rate try to save up water contaners for each day you will be gone and fill each with the daily or every other day evaporation amount so the helper just dumps the food in and then dumps the premeasured water in.

As Darb2 mentioned a cheap $5 timmer from walmart will give you peace of mind with the lights.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm leaving for a 5-day trip to Vegas at the end of June and have decided not to have someone feed my fish. I'm just going to put the lights on a timer. Guess I'll see who survives.
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 3-inch Domino
1 Yellow Tang
1 Picasso Trigger
1 Green Wrasse
1 Tomato Clown
1 Coral Beauty
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
put your lights on a timer. So not to worry about it.
Agreed! That will also take care of making sure your lighting is on at the same time everyday.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
What size tank is this? If it is a fairly large tank you may not even have to top off. Maybe add a tight fitting hood.

I am going to get a timer for my lights. Just because it is easier.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com