Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya I kinda thought that could be a problem, it's obvisily manageable

Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Dont forget feeding corals adds to the bioload and nitrates will accumulate faster, along with phosphates. Overfeeding applies to the tank not just the fish.
+1 Absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve silbernagel
Ya I kinda thought that could be a problem, it's obvisily manageable
If you only feed like 2x a week and make sure not to go crazy with it, you should be fine.

I haven't noticed and ill effects, but I run a carbon/gfo reactor, so that takes care of my phosphates, and my nitrates are always 5<.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Dont forget feeding corals adds to the bioload and nitrates will accumulate faster, along with phosphates. Overfeeding applies to the tank not just the fish.
Tell me about it, I feed my coals phytofeast once every week or two. I accidents spilled too much in when trying to spot feed with a turkey baster, couple days later and I had a little cyano. Feeding also helps things like hair algae and nuisance sponges to grow :-|
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I crushed up a little piece of frozen brine shrimp in some sw last night. Spot feed them with a medicine dropper. Not sure if they ate any of it.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Corals won't eat phytofeast. Phyto will feed the micro fauna in your tank (things like pods and worms etc) which those in turn will feed your corals from propagating eating and defecating and living/dieing . Corals are more meat eaters and phyto is for vegetarians is the easiest way to explain it.
Also most, not all but most zoas and palys won't eat things like mysis. This food is way to large for most of them and it won't trigger a feeding response. I have had best luck feeding Zs and Ps a powder by Fauna Marin Zoanthid and Acan powder. It is pretty amazing stuff and I have been using several of their products for a while now with really good results. Here is a link to the specific food. I have been feeding my chalices the LPS pellets with amazing results as well. My sps goes nuts when the zoa/acan powder hit the water as well, but I haven't tried the sps specific food yet.
Fauna Marin Ultra Zoa 100ml*::*Coral foods*::*Fauna Foods*::*Fauna Marin*::*Cherry Corals
Reef Koi sells a trial size of the stuff for like 8$ if you want to get a small one to try out it won't kill the old back account.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgillund
Corals won't eat phytofeast. Phyto will feed the micro fauna in your tank (things like pods and worms etc) which those in turn will feed your corals from propagating eating and defecating and living/dieing . Corals are more meat eaters and phyto is for vegetarians is the easiest way to explain it.
Also most, not all but most zoas and palys won't eat things like mysis. This food is way to large for most of them and it won't trigger a feeding response. I have had best luck feeding Zs and Ps a powder by Fauna Marin Zoanthid and Acan powder. It is pretty amazing stuff and I have been using several of their products for a while now with really good results. Here is a link to the specific food. I have been feeding my chalices the LPS pellets with amazing results as well. My sps goes nuts when the zoa/acan powder hit the water as well, but I haven't tried the sps specific food yet.
Fauna Marin Ultra Zoa 100ml :: Coral foods :: Fauna Foods :: Fauna Marin :: Cherry Corals
Reef Koi sells a trial size of the stuff for like 8$ if you want to get a small one to try out it won't kill the old back account.
+1. Just remember whatever food you choose to feed according polyp and mouth size. Humans can shove a whole cupcake in our mouth- doesn't mean we can chew it comfortably. You could probably get away with feeding saltwater mysid to things like zoas (because they are smaller) whereas you could feed piscine mysid to things such as hammers, torches, whisker Duncan's, etc (2-3x in size of the earlier mentioned). A good food choice is also cyclopeeze. It comes frozen in cubes, bars, or as a dried powder form. Either works well and will be digested by fish as well (some have even fed this to pipefish as a primary diet).
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thx for the direction on feeding. Which ever food I choose though will I still feed them directly with baister
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ever use coral frenzy coral food
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Updates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1807323387.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	124717   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2056488923.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	124718  

Name:	image-1403411805.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	124720  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

See what target feeding and new LEDs does
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2920091795.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	146177  

Tags
feeding, zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com