Feel like a noob! Pods & Phyto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Picked up some Tisbe pods in hopes of fattening up my little Clown Goby and getting a better population established. Also got some Phytoplankton.

16oz Tisbe Pods and about 3-4oz Phyto.

LFS Guy said I could temp match, water match if I wanted to and dump both into the tank. TRUE and a good idea or NOT true?

Before I get them in there I was going to put a new filter pad but should I, and should I add a prefilter sponge on the intake to help keep the Pods from just getting sucked up?

Right now, I don't really have an interest in a separate grow tank for them. I plan to buy a new batch of mixed pods when I set up the new tank soon as well.

There are a small number of established pods in the Chaeto - I just noticed today - they are soooo tiny!

More tank info below if wanted...

Tank is a year established, 6.6G Edge (moving to a 12 G in a week or 2) With the small HOB filter and bulk white filter pad Macro Algae giant blob of Chaeto, some Gracilaria Live rock.

Now, and added Tea Cups and Black Codium with a little Feather and Grape and another which looks like twisted sea weed off a runner.

One Leather Frag.

Critters - 3 Blue leg Hermits, various snails, 4 Sexy Shrimp and One Yellow Clown Goby, and a few yucky Bristle worms.

Just got a little Rock Flower Anemone and a little Pom Pom Crab today and haven't got them into the tank yet.

You should acclimate the pods to your tank water temp. They can be shocked like anything else and die off. You can add the whole bottle of pods in as well. If I were going to upgrade soon though I may consider holding off or maybe just adding half to the old tank and half to the new. The phyto is what feeds the pods so you can add that however you like. They will be able to eat in your tank anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about a prefilter sponge to help keep them from getting sucked up, will it really matter. I had tons of pods on my 5G tank with only LR no filter but few in this one with the little HOB.

Hadn't really thought about the prefilter before now on it, for the sake of the pods.

Opinions?

the trick is shut off filters when adding pods best to do it after lights out .
give them a few hours to establish in the rocks , than just turn filters back on .
if you see pods in filter media just rinse it in a bucket most of the pods will swim freely let the crud settle than scoop them out with a net , they'll be a few stuck in media but not enough to stress over.

I had them in the bag til the next morning and didn't get any responses. So I just added a prefilter sponge probably though dense not small enough for EVERY Pod to avoid getting inside but at least probably will kind of stop them.

I added them in and also the Phyto as the tank is sort of a growing area for now anyway.

Thank you for the information for the next time. After getting the Chaeto to start growing in the main area with the extra light I was really surprised that there was a small population of little tiny guys inside of the super fluffy green Chaeto cloud, lol. The new macro Algaes I just brought home also had some diverse sizes of pods as well.

My old tank had some really large Pods which looked like pill bugs and lots of medium smallish types which would be crawling everywhere. No larger kinds atm in this tank.

I kinda thought the Yellow Clown Goby would have been a little more excited about the new Pods, but he kept waiting for me to put little wafers or pellets in for him instead. More chances for the population to grow, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom