Ferrous Oxide? Been done a million times.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know, I know. You have seen this a million times I'm sure, so here goes a million and one.

Phosban, tips, tricks, questions? I wanna know what you know? And I want to know what you want to know?

I have been using ferrous oxide for about 3 months in a brs dual stage reactor. Initial impression, it did wonders for my cyano issue but, the old timers are right! It will not fix the root of your phosphates. So far I have been patient with dialing in my system and think I'm getting closer to my issue which seems to be feedings. Yes I know some one on here has already gone over this with me okay I don't care I'm still tweaking it in and if you don't like it don't want to here it please move on I don't care, I'm taking a patient approach to what I'm doing and I may change feedings for months and months before I get it right sew me.

I use phyto feast for corals and I switch between brine and pellets for my fish. I have tried scaling back feeding to every 3 days but found my fish to start looking too thin. I even lost one because the other fish became agitated and naturally selected him to go. It was a mistake. I liked that fish but we all have to mess up to learn sometimes.
So I started on every other day feedings but cut down portions and this is where I am now. Previously I was feeding every other day but was definitely going overboard. I'm still tweaking it in. I have found that other people's advise on feeding your tank is not going to help you in my opinion, because each tank is unique and will require you to take time to get it right. Some coral food is recommended dosages is out of controle I can't get away with half the recommendation the give us. I'm having difficulty balancing feeding and keeping nutrients in check this is my definit problem. I don't want to be dependant on Phosban to keep my tank in check so I will continue with figuring out how to feed and not creat excess nutrients. I find Phosban seems to exhaust itself in my tank within 2 or three weeks using the recommended dosage. I do 10 gallon weekly water changes with ro/di, tds never over 3ppm and I run a fuge with chaeto on 1in mud under 1/2in sand. My corals look great fish are doing awsome but still small amount of phosphate not enough to take hold over the tank or even show up on my Hannah checker just enough to annoy me.

So what are your experiences with ferrous oxide If you even use it at all.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since coral is photosynthetic and gets the overwhelming amount of its nutrition from light why do you feel the ned to use the phyto feast? Cutting that out could probably solve the nutrient issue all on its own.

I don't use it for just the coral I'm trying to feed my microfauna as well to help with detritus it is a bit of a different approach with a dsb. I have decided today that I will cut that back to less than half and also spread it out throughout the week instead of a once a week bomb. But it is a added benefit to my corals I feel. I definitely think I'm going overboard with that stuff which is likely my issue.

Ahh I gotcha. Instead of the phyto feast why don't you look into starting a live culture? Thats what I did for my tank and I can add as much as I want without seeing a spike in any of my parameters. Isochrysis was my phyto of choice.

Nope, thats adding live phytoplankton rather than the dead stuff that's in phyto feast. Tiger pods are a type of copepod

Its pretty much the start of the food chain in salt water and if there's an organism in your tank that doesn't eat phytoplankton, its likely that it eats something that lives off of phytoplankton.

How do I do that?

Fertilizer, 2 liter bottles, an air pump, and a starter culture.

The culture and fertilizer should cost about $15

16 hours of light a day and let it grow. Takes about 1 to 2 weeks to finish a culture.

Back
Top Bottom